A little Box definition please

Bronze Member
Username: Nkknutson

Post Number: 25
ok i'm getting the new fi sub BL and plan on building my own box and have no idea what these mean and where to start thanks for any input. these spec are for the Q i have emailed fi for the new BL spec. just wanted to know what each of these ment.
Sealed box: Sealed box: .8-1.5 cuft
Ported box: 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 28-33Hz
Sub OD: 12.500"
Cut ID: 11.125"
Mounting depth: 7.000"
Displacement: 0.16cuft

Bronze Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 50
Sealed box - rec. size for sealed box. I would rec. 1.25 cuft with some polyfil.
Ported Box - different style of box. Rec size once again. Also rec. tunning.
Sub OD - Outside Diameter. The diameter of the sub.
Cut ID - The diameter of the hole you should cut for the sub.

Mounting depth - The wall of your box opposite of the baffle(side the sub is mounted on) must be atleast this far away from the baffle or the subs magnet(back of sub) will hit it.
Displacement - cuft the sub takes up. If you want to build a 1.25 cuft box, it must actually be around 1.35 cuft, b/c the sub will take up some room(.16cuft).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
thanks for the help now one more question how do you tune a ported/vented box? my box needs to be some where around 20 to 24" wide because i'm mounting the amp on the back of the box, is that a bad idea?

Bronze Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 51
I broke my orion 2500d b/c the vibration from the box shook the powersupply loose from the circuit board. But I had it mounted to a box with 4 15's in it, and the box had not be completely braced yet. I would mount the amp to an extra piece of MDF and then mount that to the box. design the box with box calculation software. There are many websites that have them. I assume you are building a ported box for a single 12"? Here is a web site that will help you. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31
A good tune for a SQL setup would be around 30-34 hertz. I would reccomend that the box be anywhere between 2-2.5 cuft. But that is after you substract the space taken up by the vent and the sub. So if the vent is .7 cuft. and the sub is .16 then the box must be 2.85-3.35 cuft. total volume.
ex. Box volume - 2.25
Tuning - 32 hertz
Internal box mes. - 22.5 x 14 x 15.5
External box mes. - 24 x 15.5 x 17
Total box volume - 2.85
Port opening - 14 x 2
Port length - 27.4

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
thank you so much when you give the box mes. Length, Width, Height? i have been looking at some boxes and every site listed them in a different order. i should use 3/4 mdf right.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
another question i was looking at the web site you gave me and what is port length? do you think i have to port my box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us