Box Shape

Bronze Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 93
For a sealed box, if it is neccesary to build the sub box a shape other than a rectangle, will the sound be affected in any way? Or is volume volume, no matter what?

Gold Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1164
volume is volume. Correct me if im wrong

Username: Theclem54

Queensland Australia

Post Number: 3
Not sure about subs as such... but a general rule I read once with regards to speaker building is to keep to the golden ratio... which I can't recall off the top of my head...

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 919
rob knows /\

Bronze Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 45
A box that is a perfect cube will have bad internal corner loading which will lead to cancellation. Other then that it doesnt matter to much. I, myself, don't know the golden ratio.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2363
A perfect shape would either be a cylinder or a sphere. More corners in a box the worse it is, corners trap standing waves, causing coloration. Polo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
The sphere is the perfect shape. No standing waves. Also, no box flexing due to the shape.

Silver Member
Username: Jonesp

Post Number: 140
only way to use a sphere you would have to build and base to drill the woofer into and then into the sphere. because subs mount perfectly flat so the base would have to be flat at the top and rounded and the end to fit the sphere. the you have to put a base on the enclosure so it wont roll around. i would like to see some one attempt this.

my best bet would be to make it of fiberglass you could easily get the volume and deminsions with a casting of some sort and basically fill it in. two have make a Whole

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/19/death_star_subwoofer.html

Interesting but a sphere

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3526
since we all know ben isnt going to go make a circular box (lol), use the golden ratio, it can be found on teamtoxicbass.com under tutorials i believe.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2364
Not a sphere either but much better than a cube. the finished version will use a flared slot with curves rather than turns and the port will be made out of fiberglass/resin.. Polo.. :-)

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 102
Awesome...thanks guys
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us