Anyone with experience with JL's W7 series

Username: Justinsane110

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 9
Ok I have read nothing but good things about the 13W7, planning on getting 2 of them here very soon and 2 1000/1 amps.

But can anyone tell me exactly how accurate this review is, cuz he seems to really know what he's talking about:

http://www.epinions.com/content_136725827204

That's the first somewhat negative review I've seen on this woofer anywhere. I was also talking to a guy yesterday who had done lots of R&D for woofers and speakers through other companies, and has tons of install experience (300+ page photo album of installs, many of them quite elaborate) and he said that the W7's aren't as much of a "full range" woofer as most people say.

Any well thought out feedback would be appreciated.

joe718
Unregistered guest
the w7 13 is one of the best that is out now, I have a friend that did the same set up your planning on getting in a chrystler lhs. It has a custom box with the port going into the arm rest. The bass is ridiculous. He almost shattered his window. So i say go for it, but also upgrade your alternator and an epicenter wont hurt to booste lower tones

Someone
Unregistered guest
He didn 't alomost shatter his window. That sub isn't that d*mn good.

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 10
One more thing, as far as the size box it requires will not be an issue since I'm planning on taking up the whole cargo area of my 02 Yukon with it, at least a 12-15 cu. ft. box. I have a 10 cubic foot ported box back there now with a pair of 15L7's in it hehe.

Thanks for the response joe, I guess Someone missed the part where it said "Any well thought out feedback"

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 19
The 13W7 is definatly one of the best subwoofers out there right now. It has to be one of the most accurate subwoofers I have ever heard and also one of the loudest. You will be VERY pleased with your purchase of that setup. Definetly upgrade your alternator.

Bronze Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 11
Thanks Wahl, I'm definitely looking into a new alternator since the factory alt. has issues pushing two optimas and a KX1200.1. I'm looking at getting a 225amp alt, i think that should handle it.

Anyone else have any input?

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 70
havnt had much experience w/ JL W7's, but i have an Adire Brahma.

my brahma 10" out does my old solobaric L5 12" in both SQ and SPL, and that is in the same sized box (sealed) and on the same amp (JBL BP600.1)

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 90
Well if its the first negitve review than he probably has something against JL or had a bad expierance due to his fault but he is blaming it on the brand. JL rocks! Its one negitve out of many positves.

Bronze Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 12
I was thinking the same thing Patrick, just wanted to see what others thought about it before I drop that kind of cash.

But I guess when only 1 out of 20 or so reviews is only somewhat bad then I cant go wrong, thanks for the input.

Anonymous

<---- has 2 jl w7 13s in ext. cab s-10.
box goes clear across back and 14" forward.
usin a boss 4000 watt class d .5 ohm stable amp and a 1.0 cap with a big interstate battery.
more then enough juice just get a fosgate CP2POS wiring kit
make sure to dynamat the back hatch though i had to replace my back window already.
i suggest go with one big powerful amp that will push each sub 1 ohm. there massive. best purchase ive made ever.
by the way 1 boss class d .5 ohm stable amp = around $310.00 u.s (1) jl 1000/1 = at least 500-550.00.... and you will be MORE then happy with the boss realy nice purchase also.instead of buyin jl amps save the cash an buy all FOSGATE wire.
ive had 7 vehicles with 2000watt+ stereo's fosgate wire is the best money can buy and the fuses never pop.

Anonymous

I'd rather get wal mart brand wire with a JL 1000/1 anyday. Boss won't last half as long or hit half as hard. The reason the fuses don't blow is because a Boss amp doesn't pull the current to blow it.

someone
Unregistered guest
Boss sucks! That's my 2 cents worth

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
my 2 10" kicker comp vr's are louder than a 13w7 witha 1000/1 jl amp on it and my amp was a 1000w xploid. we measured both cars on the same song and min was louder on the metter and think about it i got my 2 subs and boxes and my amp(my whole setup) for less than that one speaker costs by itself so i doesnt matter if it costs that much to make it loud and mine are clean no distorion in my custom vented boxes

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3086
a single 13W7 can obtain an SPL of 147dB.
I find your claim hard to believe, unless the W7 was in a school bus next to your Yugo with the Kickers. That, or the JL setup was very poorly installed and set up.

Anonymous

id leave it right there if i we'r you kickercomp before you embaress yourself any further

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
mine hit 140.2 and his in the back of a blazer hit 139.5 and mine is in an explorer. his box looked like a fake floor and mine are in 2 seperate vented boxes firing directly at each other. and his was running off a 1000/1 and i was only pushing like 450 from my xploid amp
u gotta admit isnt 14dB pretty loud for 2 10s????

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3098
I can believe that..
a few suggestions:
angle your subs a bit so they're not aimed directly at each other.. that may e causing cansellation or standing waves. you may get a much higher output with the subs angled just a bit, maybe 15 degrees off center.

on his, he may want to vent the enclosure, and add polyfill behind the sub, or angle teh back of his enclusore to avoid the same wave cancellation.
never want the back of the sub box to be parallel with the subs.

he should be able to do better with that Blazer.. maybe if he went to a different box design.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us