Setting gain with DMM...

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 755
so ive always done it by trying to get the dial to what i though was the right spot but i have 2 dmm's so i figured why not learn the right way to set the amps gain, so if neone could explain me how to do it or nething like that i would greatly appreciate, alos if i dont know the range for the gain on an amp how would i found it out...the site doesnt have it listed and i dont have a manual, its a PA 0V2-300, gunna use it temporarily for my g/fs system so i jsut want to know how to set the gain correctly for ne system i do...thanks alot
http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/product_AUDIO_amp_gothic.htm

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 757
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63933
i found this tutorial alittle further down, it helped out alot, i understand how to do it now, but what do they mean by turn all procesors off on ur h/u, does this mean turn off lpf ?...however i would still like to know about how to find out the gain range on the PA OV2-300..thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1052
if you're powering something other thans subs download the 0dB 1000hz test tone from realmofexcursion.com If you're powering a sub download the 50hz 0dB tone. Burn them to cd.

As long as your x/o's are set appropriately for the type of speaker (and tone) you don't have to disable them.

Turn off your bass boost (hu and amp) set the bass and treble to zero on the HU.

Disconnect your speaker wires from the amp. Put the cd in and play the appropriate tone on repeat.
Measure the voltage at the amp.
If you're running it in stereo --
It's rated 70x2, to be safe, assume it's slightly over-rated, let's call it 60x2.
Using the formula sqrt(PxR) you get sqrt(60x4)= sqrt(240)= 15.5v
Adjust the gain until you get 15.5v. It will be hard to get EXACTLY 15.5. Anything between 15-16v should be fine.

If you're running the amp bridged it's rated at 170w. Call it 150w to be safe.
In that case it's sqrt(150x4)=Sqrt(600)=24.5v
That's all there is to it.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 759
thanx alot opti thats helps out alot, so one last question i wanna set my a8002t and i got it running at 400@2ohms per channel, so i would set them seperately, using sqrt(400x2)=28.28...v....is that the correct way to do it for a 2 channel amp when using both channels seperately...?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 760
didnt bump...

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 761
wait the two channels share the same gain i think...so how i would i do it?...i got them hooked up to seperate channels, but would i jsut do sqrt(800x4)=...b/c its rated that a 4ohms bridged?...

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1054
if you have it at 2 ohms stereo.
sqrt(400x2)= sqrt(800)= 28.3
probe either channel using the appropriate tone, adjust the gain until you get ~28v.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2183
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 762
thanx alot opti and polo that helps out alot...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us