Five 4ohm voice coils = ?ohms / will i burn my amp?

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 588
I've got 2 dual voice coil 4ohm subs and one single voice coil 4ohm sub all wired together... this makes about 0.8ohms - right?

If so, what will this do to my 1ohm stable amp? burn it? blow fuses? nothing? please help - it pounds but I don't want to f u c k it up!!!

kinda uneasy about it... is it just as bad at low volumes as it is at high volumes?

thanks for your input.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9996
B once explained this in good detail but i cant remember all of it but basically each coil will still have its own resistance & ur not really fooling the amp thinking its seeing x amt of load - so its not rec u do that .......

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1380
lets say the amp is 1500rms @ 1 ohm, each 4 ohm coil is going to see approximately 375 rms, so the first 2 subs will be seeing a total of 750 rms while the third one will be seeing only 375... not necessarily bad for the amp but you might be over powering the first two subs, whats the setup?....... and .8 is close enough to 1, it should be alright, unless its bad equipment, you should get your hands on a DMM

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1645
You shouldn't be mixing subs anyway. I would stick with the two subs that are dual 4 ohm and be done with it.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 138
what subs and what amp are u using. That will help us answer the question

Silver Member

Post Number: 589
thanks, you guys...

It's a Digital Audio DAD9004
(one ohm stable - mono - class D - 3 30 amp fuses - 900 watts)

That amp is running these 3 subs:
1. Focal 10" polyglass 27v2 (4ohm DVC)
2. Diamond Audio 12" D3 (4ohm DVC)
3. Rockford Fosgate 12" Punch HE (4ohm SVC)

I also have an MTX running to my door speakers (50 watts per channel)

... so, what do you guys think?
please explain all input, as I am very interested in learning... not just getting the easy answers.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1792
thats one mess of a mix lol.. i'd either pick a set you like.. or sell all of them and buy something else.. after box rise though that 0.8 would go up so you'd be seeing 1ohm or more depending. As long as the ohm load is close your fine..

Silver Member

Post Number: 594
i didn't understand this part:

after box rise though that 0.8 would go up so you'd be seeing 1ohm or more depending.

and are you sure i won't phuk up my amp running it like that?

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1796
the best thing for you is to get a DMM.. test what the load actually is.. and if it is 0.8ohm.. and the amp is 1ohm stable. its fine :-)

Silver Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 United States

Post Number: 896
or sell 2 of the subs and get another one of either the diamond or the focal

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 4014
yes Rovin is correct, I have explained this phenominal call a voltage / current divider before... :-)
little bit of electronic circuit analysis for you people... lol

in a nut shell what Troy stratford is saying!!!

the last sub on the circuit will have the least amount of voltage and current to work with, so it will get less power from the amplifier. not good! espically beein in the same enclousure as the others...

just do a search on google on current divider and voltage divider, and kirkoff voltage rules...
I already had many of classes in college, so go learn something...

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3211
lol this is just messed up pick 1 sub and go with it then maybe seel the 2 others and buy one of the other ones best answer there

but ya b i had that electrical wiring circuit class to lol and then i took it in hs also but in car audio i dont know where it all applies most of the time

Silver Member

Post Number: 595
so, what does all this mean?

WHY is it bad for the subs to be different???

I'm sorry. I just don't see the connection yet.
And as for the ohm load: total of five 4ohm voice coils = how many ohms? I guessed 0.8, but who know the answer for sure?

Silver Member

Post Number: 596
please

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 624
Most people just dont mix different sizes and types b/c one will over power the others (smaller ones) and render it basically useless (from what I understand). As for your ohm load, I think you should be good but thats going on what they ^ said...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us