Why did my capasitor seem to decrease my output?

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 564
I've got 2 amps hooked up to the same power supply... one 900 watt class d to the subs and one 400 watt ab to the door panels (but i'm only using about 100w).
Anyway, it was sounding pretty good... so i hooked the power supply to a capasitor and THEN ran equal length wires to each amp... but now it seems quiter.

what's up with THAT?
please explain.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 554
Hmm dunno, caps suck, get a battery:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
what kind of battery? isn't it the alternator that comes first, and THEN the battery?

i thought my power is being run by the alt, not the battery (when the car is on)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7334
when your engine is running a new alt is what you want if you notice alt struggle(light dimming,ebgine stalling). Did you properly charge the cap before you installed it? If you were noticing alt struggle a cap is the last thing you want to add, it actually will take up some voltage to power that you are already lacking to adequetly supply to your amps. What size cap is it? what brand?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4947
hence another reason to build around your charging system.....that's just the weakest link in car audio...i wish someone would come up with a better solution (darn alternators)

ps...people that got into car audio old school like me remember when a 200 rms amp was large...now 1500 and above is it lol

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7337
I remember Sean:-) as a matter of fact I am still running class a/b amps that are nowhere near as powerfull as these new class d's and T's. My whole system right now with the current sub I am running is putting our 520 watts and thats components ,rear fill and a sub:-) If I drop it down to 1 ohm it will will shhot up to 1120 @ 12 volts, still under the majority of todays systems.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 559
HO alt = #1 no doubt
BUT IF TALKIN'
cap vs battery
then
battery
:-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Chrome Dip it & Ship i...

Post Number: 8417
^^yay!!

i am actually going to decrease the power of my setup. i don't use the 900wRMS on my sub, don't want to either. i am out of the loud stage...but i would like to go from about 150wRMS to about 360wRMS on my frontstage:-):-):-)

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 564
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Muddy, you are the man, welcome to the true car audio challenge - SQ (sorry SPL guys, I know it's VERY complicated in your field as well - getting the wires hooked up from Ohio Edison, fitting those massive amps in one:-) trunk etc:-))

My rule is - never run your front with less than 100W per side:-). Actually I preffer 150-200 per side:-). As far as subs - no more than 500W (install in a hatch)
Morel + Zapco + DLS = love for music:-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7346
Couldnt agree more:-) The sub I am currently running has a 200 rms, and a 94db efficiency output:-) It gets Loud and has amazing SQ. I will always fall back on this sub forever:-)

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4949
your ears will love you for it guys...not to mention how beautifull a sq system sounds when that's your main focus

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 576
HMM............................:-):-):-)
Guitar player's fingers sliding on strings, deeper than dash, wider than the car, more pure than Ballygowan Irish sparkling water, cleaner then a recording studio (well not so sure about this one:-))
So how can you SPL guys trade all that for some simple girl scaring, shop window shaking output???
BTW, if you have an outstanding SQ setup girls (or anybody for that matter) will be more impressed with it than SPL:-)
The true art is to get the hair on your neck stand up from SQ:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
I understand what you guys are saying... I wish there was a more affordable way to get that SPL rumble AAAAND the SQ to go with it... but for me... it's out my my price range by ALOT.

Anyways, maybe I didn't charge it properly... what is the proper procedure???

Also, yes, my headlights have dimmed from the get go... does anyone know where to get a ho alternator for a dodge ram van relatively cheap?
One more question: you're saying when it comes to getting a bigger battery or getting a cap... i should go with the battery?
If so, what kind of battery are we talking about here?

thanks, everyone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us