Wiring configurations: mixing different ohm subs safely

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 548
There was another thread that basically wanted to know if it's ok to mix (for example) a 2 ohm DVC sub with a 4 ohm DVC sub... I've actually been trying to figure out wiring configurations to do just that. So, I have a 2 part question for all the pros and those knowledgeable from experience:

1. Is it unsafe to wire multiple subs of different configurations together to achieve a specific desired ohm?

2. Would anyone be cool enough to list ALL possible safe wiring configurations to achieve 1 ohm? I know the basic ones, of course...

4ohmDVC + 4ohmDVC = 1ohm or 4ohm
2ohmDVC = 1ohm or 4ohm

... but what needs to be purchased to do a 3 sub setup at 1 ohm? what about a 4 sub setup? what if I have 2 4ohmDVC subs and want to add 2 more subs? how many ohms would they have to be to get one ohm?

I'm sure the answers will be lengthy, but will be much appreciated... thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 553
You can get a 1ohm load with 4 2ohmDVC subs:
2 subs - each wired in parallel and then together in parallel = 0.5ohm load

the same for the other 2 subs and then both pairs are wired in series together = 1ohm load.

As far as amp is concerned - you can mix & match brands, sizes, whatever, all day long as long as the final load for the amp is acceptable.

Regarding the subs, say, 2x4ohmDVC + 2x2ohmDVC subs (same brand and model) - I am not sure if 2ohm coils would respond exactly the same as 4ohm coils so I would put each pair in a separate box, because the impedance curves would be different I think:-)

Once I almost did this:
I had a a sub 4ohmDVC and a 4ch amp, so I decided to wire the amp into 2 bridged mono channels and connect each channel to it's own VC. I talked to the local "pros" and they said that the signals from those two channels would not be EXACTLY the same so I would ruin the sub, so at the end of the day - I didn't do it, but I think it can be done safely:-)

I just though about it and I don't think you could do a 1ohm load with 3 subs (from the ones available on the market). You could do a 1.5ohm load with a 3 2ohmDVC subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
so, if i want a 4 sub setup... what will i need if i've already got 2 4ohm DVC subs?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7338
3 subs dual 6 ohm will yield a 1ohm load parr, and a 4ohm load series.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 572
Sean, you can get 2 2ohmDVC subs to go with your 4ohm DVC's, you'll be able to get a 1.5ohm load.

Yeah, sorry James Longo, I totally forgot that there are 6ohms on the market as well, my bad:-)

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 573
James, well you could also get a 36ohm load with the 3 6ohmDVC subs:-):-):-)

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 574
Then you would really have damping factor coming out of yur arss:-):-):-)
I must say it would be a very highly controlled cone movement, hmm, low output though:-):-):-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1988
You can also mix how you wire them to get the desired load, Series, parallel and series parallel. Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
explain, polo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us