Which JL sub(s) for Zapco Reference 1100.1M amp? HELP!!

Bronze Member
Username: Vtecpower

Post Number: 30
This is a funny one...

I've got a Zapco Reference 1100.1M Class A/B mono sub amp which gives 800W RMS @ 4 Ohms and 1100W RMS @ 2 Ohms (it isn't stable below 2 Ohms).

I want to power 1 or 2 JL subs with it - I'm looking for maximum SPL with great SQ too.

I could either go with 2 10W6v2s or 2 12 W6v2s in ported boxes (they could be wired down to 4 Ohms and receive 800W between the 2) - i haven't ruled out 10s vs the 12s as they would perhaps be driven harder with the power (not sure!? - do the 12s really need more than 400W each in ported boxes to perform their best?)

Or...

I could go with a single 12W7 or 13W7 in either a ported or sealed box (i've heard that ported W7s get too boomy and don't hit much harder then if sealed?). Power wise, I would expect the amp to give about 950W RMS @ 3 Ohms - so it could be a 12W7 with lots of headroom or a slightly underpowered 13W7? im confused as to what would work best).

So I wanted to know which set up you guys think would give me the most SPL with this amp while still maintaining excellent SQ?

Please reply, especially if you've actually heard both types of setups.

It's all going in a VW Bora saloon car with a sealed metal boot, with holes in the rear parcel shelf to allow some bass through into the cabin.

Money and space are no object; please only suggest JL subs as I'm fed up of trying other makes.

Thanks a lot!

Silver Member
Username: Pike110

Post Number: 221
I have two 12w6v2's in a sealed enclosure that I use for sq. I have 800 watts running to them. They sound great.. but they don't get major spl. I also have a 13w7 that I just bought from a friend for really cheap that I swap out with the w6's when I want a little more spl. The 13w7 is in a vented enclosure and gets plenty loud for me. I would say if you want a lot of spl and want to just stick with jl, the W7 would be the way to go.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7202
I would go with either 2 13w6v2's or a 13w7. That amp is underrated so it will prob put out a decent amount more then those spec's. Is there a reason you are going with JL? check out the SI mag 12:-) wire it to 4 ohms and give it 800 watts and have a blast.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 509
Yeah James is right.
Look at some other subs too. Zapco is a high end amp, so get some high end subs for it:-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 8198
Money and space are no object; please only suggest JL subs as I'm fed up of trying other makes.

that is a foolish statement on more ways than one.
JL is NOT the best car audio and others can be had for 1/2 and even 1/4 of the price.:-)

and also, please.....everybody has a spending limit, and you aren't driving a yellow bus, so there is a limit there as well.:-)

Stereo Integrity Magnum would beat a JL W7 in output and SQ allllllll day, and is roughly half the price. ask around, on any forum

you could also port the MAgnum, and it would not become boomy. and with the power you have, it woul dbe a match made i heaven. lol

you should seriously consider someting other than JL, there is better, and better for the money IMO.:-O

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 511
Hey Muddy, man I have never heard of Stereo Integrity, they would not be better than DD would they?

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 8200
depends on what we are talking about here.
the Magnum is a top notch SQ sub while still putting out a respectable SPL.

i would say it isnt louder than say a DD 3500, but it is louder than a 2500, and it will sound better than the whole DD lineup(b/c DD;s have a higher Fs and most are ported box woofers...sealed is the flattest and most accurate), minus the 9100, but i haven't heard that one soooo.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 8201
check this out.
Website

Pics on this forum

Great 12" Challenge SQ notes on selected drivers. came in 2nd to the $800 Aura Sound MR.:-)

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 513
Sorry Muddy, forgot to specify - SQQQQQQQQQ.
That's all I ever give f*ck about:-)
I totally don't get hard on SPL:-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7204
the the SI mag is for you maris:-) I am running a 12w6v2 and I am upgrading to a mag:-) SQ is my pet peave aswell.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2228
hey james, still selling your w6?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7205
yup

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2229
someone here wants to buy it to go with my xenon amp. check for the thread titled with your name.

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 514
So where can I buy the SI Magnum?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2230
www.low-hz.com (think it's still down though)

www.audiojunkies.com

http://stereointegrity.com/index.html

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7215
is the thread in sub's? or amps?

Bronze Member
Username: Vtecpower

Post Number: 31
I only wanna go with JL because I like that particular JL sound - deep, intricate, warm, detailed, uncoloured, smooth, flat frequency response... I could go on!

PLUS thier subs are so reliable - you know you can bank on JL, and I will certainly return to them after trying so many other makes.

The question for me then it seems is 13W7 or 2 12W6v2s with the Zapco - I think I might just get a 13W7 sealed and vent it if I'm not happy.

Suppose I could also try 2 new 13W3v3s, though not sure on the SQ/SQL on those?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7229
no I would do either 1 13w7 sealed or 2 13w6's ported

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 8212
you are sheltered in you taste of subs....lmao

get some Funky Pups....:-)

13w6 for the win.