Ohms ?

Bronze Member
Username: Kicker101

Alberta

Post Number: 56
im new to the car audio scene can someone please explain how ohms are related. like i know but not in depth, so whats the diff between 4 ohms and 2 ohm or whatever?

Bronze Member
Username: Boomtank

Post Number: 67
The low resistance you run at ( Measured in OHMS ) the more current you are drawing from you electrical system. Usually meaning more power that an amp can give to the subwoofer.

So if ur running at 4 ohms lets say ur amp is rated for 400 watts RMS, now you use the same amp with a 2 ohm load and it will be rated about 800watts RMS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Then there is competition standards when you wanna run at the least resistance as posible to be put in the lowest class posible.

Some competitions class the members by their total paower at 4 ohms.

Like i have a High Current amp rated at 400wrms @ 4 ohms, but im running it at .5 ohms @ 1800wrms

so im in the class of 400watts but using 1800 watts.

Bronze Member

Alberta

Post Number: 58
so if you have a 1000watts rms at 4ohms and u put it to 2ohms it will double the output to 2000watts rms?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
not quite... look at your amps specs. It will tell you what ur amp is rated for (rms) at different loads. Usually 4,2, and 1 ohm(if stable to 1 ohm) what amp to you have? sometimes it doubles but not always.

Bronze Member

Alberta

Post Number: 59
and so really u can kinda 200watt rms amp and power up to 800watts? and is RMS mean continuos power?

Bronze Member

Alberta

Post Number: 60
okay i see so on ur amp how do u change this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Yes rms is continous power rating what kind of amp do you have and what subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
You dont change it like a switch. Its the load you have hooked up to the amp. If your sub is 4ohms then ur running a 4ohm load on the amp. If you get a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub you can wire the sub in parrellel and get a 2 ohm load. Or run 2 subs 4ohms each in parellel and have a 2 ohm load.

and these rating are just for guidlines. Normally subs arent exactly 4 ohms more like 3.5 or 3.75. so the ratings are just to show you the amps rating at certain points.

Bronze Member

Alberta

Post Number: 61
actually im in the process of buying a new setup, but whats the definition of continous power that just means how much power is being fed to the subs constantly right? thanks for your help I must be gettin annoying lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
no its fine i like to help. I've gotten so much help on the forum i can share the knowlege i do know.

Its like the amount of power the woofer can handle at a constant rate without damaging it.

like a warenty issue it shouldn't break with that much power.

Its usually 50-70% of the peak power and since all the frequencys going to the subs are mostly sin waves it is the average power of the signal going to the sub.

How much are you looking to spend on a system and what are you looking for...

really loud , good quality, low bass, tight bass???

Bronze Member

Alberta

Post Number: 62
actually im lookin at two 12" re audio mx's so ya some good SQ and good SPL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us