DVC vs. SVC Subs - Assistance Needed

Username: Daehkcarc

Post Number: 1
I am looking for some advice regarding a sub/amp combo I got. What I have is an MTX TC4001, which I purchased off ebay. Heres the link: ohttp://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/TC4001.cfm ... What I had ordered (off ebay) to go with this was the MXS1004a (or T7510-44) which is a dual voice coil, 4 ohm and 400 RMS sub. I thought this would be a perfect amp/sub combo. What I got instead of the MXS1004a (they screwed up the description) was the single voice coil version aka MXS1004 or T7510-04.
Sub link is here: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/thunder7500.cfm
Now I guess my questions are as follows...
1. Was my original combination with the dual voice coil/TC4001 a good choice? (IE good power for the sub)
2. Will not having dual voice coil make that much of a difference (Essentially I need to know if it is worth the hassle to ship it back and get the original dual voice coil sub that I wanted)?

I am slightly confused as to what Impedance implies. The amp is 400 at 2 ohms and 200 at 4 ohms, does this mean that a 400 watt rms sub at 4 ohms will only get 200 watts (and be under powered)? Does each voice coil in the dual voice coil sub run at 2 ohms and therefore get 400 watts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3126
you need a dual 4 sub if your running 1 sub, and that sub will only maybe see 200w at 4ohms

Post Number: 2
Does that mean I can't even run the SVC sub off the amp I have?

Bronze Member
Username: Boomtank

Post Number: 64
The dual voice coils are for install flexability

with a 4 ohm svc you can only run your amp at 4 ohms with one sub. with a dual 4 ohms voice coil you can hook them up in parellel for a 2 ohm load and get more power out of ur amp.

And yes the sub you have will only get 200 watts and be under powered.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
You can run the sub it just wont be as loud as it can be.

Its rated for 175-400 wrms so ur amp will push it. Never heard the 7500 seris so im not sure how loud they are

Post Number: 3
So, overall would you guys suggest that I return the SVC and purchase the DVC elsewhere? And does that mean a DVC will get 400 watts from the amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Yeah if you dont mind waiting for the return and getting another one that would be ur best bet. And yeah the DVC 4ohm wired in parellel will get 400wrms from that amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us