WhO KnoWs TheiR StUff??..... HElp

Username: Mike20

Post Number: 8
alrite ive been havin the biggest problems with these alpine x 10 subs.. They just are not hitting as i expected.. at all, with a weird rattle type noise. Im going through EVERYTHING to figure out the problem so.. would anyone know, when running all that power with the mrd1005 alpine monoblock amp to a 10" x 10 if 1. i need Really thick wires 2. Do i need a certain type of box? (sealed, ported, certain size). And last, if its in a sealed box, if it is not Completely air tight will it distort the sub that much?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9588
so that 1 amp pushing both subs ? - thats like powering them 1/2 way

i even read a good clean 1200wrms EACH will surely satisfy ur bass craving

yep having a leaky sealed box kinda defeats its purpose or being sealed ......

Post Number: 9
well i heard that that amp is enough to run only one sub, so im trying to get only one hooked up but i have two subs. I just cant figure out why the hell it sounds so bad..

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9589
dual 2 or dual 4ohm subs ?

also a badly made box will make any of the best subs sound like crap ......

Post Number: 10
their dual 4 ohms it says on the bak of the sub.. its a jl audio power wedge box, but i think its got a leak or the sub isnt in there air tight.. Would you happen to know all that about ohms..? Like how do u hook somethin up at 2 ohms, or 1 ohm, and so on. I just dont undertand it..

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9590
yep ohms r easy 2 follow

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =1

so if 1 sub is hooked up in parallel then ur amp will see a 2ohm load & should be getting 700-1000wrms & sound good enough

i dont know specs of that JL box but somehow im guessing its too big

recheck HU settings & amps settings like subsonic filter /gain etc ......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I Probly sound stupid but, since its a dual voice coil sub hook both up? And any certain way? Thanks for your help Rovin. Good lookin out.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9591
u hook up ur sub like this using BOTH coils yes

Upload

i try to do a good deed once in a while - lol ......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
hahh.. Thanks again.. So u think since i didnt have it hooked up like that it could be why its not soundin good at all?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7158
yes, if you only had one voice coil hooked up that can be your problem, not wired correctly that could be your problem, faulty box? that can be your problem. You need to go through your system and eliminate one by one till it sounds good. Where do you live? sometimes other members live close and are willing to help others out.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4935
you can damage a dual voice coil sub by only hooking one voice coil up and playing it

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1275
sean i used to think that too but i was reading somewhere that thats not true, i dont remember where, but it sayed somthing about how it just cuts the power handling of the sub greatly

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1112
Ive heard that too^^^^. Some audio shops only hook up one coil depending on the amp to get the most out of it. Say an amp does 300 at 4 ohms and 500 at 2 ohms, then they would only hook up one coil of a duel 4, so that one coil gets the 500. And when/if that coil blows, theres a back up coil. I have read some good arguments on both ways. Pesonally, I wouldnt do it, but ...

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7896
it changes ALL the t/s parameters of the sub, thus making the power handling, Fs, Qts, and such useless as to what they were previously. you might need a much smaller box with only 1 VC hooked up...and you can risk blowing the sub from that and the reduced power handling...

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3100
if it was meant to run on 1 voice coil, it would have been made with 1.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7914
thank you^^:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us