Mix subs?

Silver Member
Username: Thumping_corsica

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 105
hi, i already have 2 type r 1041d(300 rms each) ported subs in car and im wondering if its ok to put in an mtx blue thunder 10(250 rms).. it will be sealed. thx

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 795
Not really a good idea to mix subs

Silver Member
Username: Nyyfan13

VA USA

Post Number: 489
dont know for a fact but ive been told that mixing subs is bad for seom reason, i could be wrong tho.

Silver Member

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 106
like woulnt it be louder though?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7150
you have to make sure that the impedence is the same on both sub's, or that it is a decent oam load on the amp depending on what amp you have. I think the mtx is single voice coil, and the type r's are dual voice coil. What are the impedence values of each sub? also they cant be in the same enclosure if it is open, and not 2 seperate boxes.(each has to have its own seperate enclosure. Different subs have different FS values and different specs so some perform better in sealed, some in ported, and some in both. The MTX's are going to have a naturally higher punch sound to them then the type r's sounding deeper and smoother. You can get cancelation between different frequency's and it wont make it sound better. I dont have the time to go look up both spec's of the subs but if all works out try it and see how it sounds. If you like it hey thats all that matters.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7151
oops I meant OHM not oam!

Silver Member

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 107
well the trpe r's are 4 ohm dvc's in sepereate ported boxes(or compund relexes) and the mtx is a svc 4 ohm and i will put it in a sealed box. the type r's will be on 1 amp and the mtx will be on a seperate different amp..(dont have that yet)

Silver Member

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 112
bump

Silver Member

Saginaw, miUnitd states

Post Number: 114
anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

AQ HD3!!, CA United States

Post Number: 691
don't do micky mouse stuff to your car! Thats like putting 3 16 inch rims on your car and then putting 1 19 inch. Its just not balanced! Sell the sub and get another R if possible.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Fort Worth, ...

Post Number: 1442
By mixing subs you will get cancelation.. I've done this with both different brands and different sizes. I even took two of the same subs.. 2 MTX 4000 10s mixed with 2 MTX 4000 12s .. now don't get me wrong, it was loud.. butthe subs constantly fought and cancelled each other out. Your best bet if you want loud is to port those Type Rs.. apparantly you have room seeing you'd be adding a whole new pair of subs..

I'd do 2cu.ft after displacement tuned to 35hz (SQL) with 32 square inches of port.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us