I have a question....why did this work?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4916
I had some low grade 6.5 midbasses and stuck a single midbass in about a 6 ft. 6 inch pvc tube........transmission line style basically and this midbass listed 60 hz as the lowest playable frequency but it played all the way down to 20 hz at about 90 db on my handheld digital spl meter in my friends house on about 70 to 90 rms power...why is it able to do that when its only supposed to be able to play down to 60 hz?

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 688
Maybe 60hz is the Fs of the speaker?? Not sure but just a guess.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 689
Oh yea. And sum of, such as the stock BOSE ones in my car, jus suggest you dont play below a certain freq. b/c it may damage the speaker, however, they still play that low just not clearly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4920
ok thanks and by the way the fs is actually 67 hz in free air but plays down to 60hz

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 692
Well i was jus throwin sum guesses out there man. Im not positive that is the answer, but more than likely its jus recommended not to play under 60hz.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

BTLUSA

Post Number: 6569
speakers are always capable of playing below their fs. why you may ask. that i cannot say. they just do. lol. sorry sean, i know this isn't the answer you are looking for.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7737
the Fs is just the speakers moving mass/suspension stiffness measurement.

the speaker will play below Fs better with a higher Qts iirc.

From CAC:

quote:

Resonant frequency. This is the frequency the subwoofer most easily resonates at - and in free air, has the highest impedence (actual resistance with a subwoofer varies both with frequency and enclosure - it's not just "4 ohms" or whatever - it may rise up over 40 ohms, in fact, at points!) at that frequency.
What it's useful for looking at is in judging how low a subwoofer can play.
A low Fs means the subwoofer will be able to play lower...
...but means it won't be as efficient in the higher frequencies either. So maybe not always a good thing - or rather, something you need to compromise with realistically, to target your own personal tastes... loud? Or low? Or a little of both?

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7738
let me say it like this.....a subwoofer does not have an internal crossover...so it will play a 1hz tone. so will a tweeter, but it will blow:-)

so when you send a 50-60hz tone through a midbass speaker, depending on the brand, it won't sond very good, and will struggle to keep control of the VC...resorting in unlinear VC movements...aka distortion.:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4921
thanks guys the answers do help ...esp....muddy's

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7741
your welcome:-)

should be resulting*** in unlinear VC movements

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

BTLUSA

Post Number: 6571
ok muddy we got the picture. show off. lol.

just playig man.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7743
hahahahaha....nah, it is just that Fs is the one T/S param i got an*l about and wanted to know the most of. lol b/c i didn't understand it for the longest time.

i still couldn't tell you what a lot of them were w/o looking at them first. but Fs is a very important oen to me

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1137
Also, keep in mind, transmission lines work different than a conventional box. Transmission lines or labyrinths work based on wavelengths verses net volume. Who knows, the length of the PVC tube may have been close enough for 1/4 wavelength of the frequency/(ies) you experienced gain.

Silver Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 173
nice! well if the tube is just straight there are ALOT of anomalies there... in that tube the way the reflection reacts is based on the cone, power, parameters of the driver, hell just plain ol physics! shoulda kept awake in class. lol. but, the way the cone is shaped will ricochet all around the inside of the tube causing an echo effect and the driver itself plays certain frequencies differently against it's enclosure's response (stick any sub in the box u built it all sounds different...) anyway, a tube that is long WILL over exaggerate some frequencies over others. (when i was experimenting building a cube enclosure where the sub n port ALIGNED directly behind each other (port placed right behind the sub with varying distances) it over exaggerates tuning... that's why they use it in spl crx's... it EXAGGERATES! yes, it will blow ur mind, needless to say it was fun! also like what mixneffect listed, if it nears a length it's possible for a quarter wave TL. DIYers rule!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4923
well at 6 feet long with the sub on the end of the tube inverted of course....using the formula 1128 divided by 47 divided then by 4 for quarter wave you get 6 feet of tubing needed for a 47 hz transmission line tuning....and yet it played very very controlled at 20 hz....thought id do the math for the tline's actual tuning

Gold Member

Post Number: 4924
i made a mistake forgot i didnt convert the last figure to inches

Gold Member

Post Number: 4925
never mind blonde moment i did it right the first time

Gold Member

Post Number: 4926
I think im gonna build some of these for my home reciever and see how they do on music...I have 3 six foot pieces of 6 inch pvc

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7772
i have never thought about that, but i could see how having the port opening right behind the subs pole vent could make things a bit wacky...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4936
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/steve/index.html

Thats the website above where I got this pic mine was mounted the oposite way of this pic...(mine was magnet out...which is fine as long as the sub is tightly sealed on the other side side)...this is the easy way to make a tline...check out the website to see more
Upload

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7901
looks like a futuristic sound weapon. lol

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Fort Worth, ...

Post Number: 1443
almost makes me want to experiment with tweeters, toilet paper rolls, and home-made funnels from a coke bottle...

ultra-sonic-high-pitch-"futuristic-sound-weapon" .. wait no longer.. its arrival is now.. what a crude reality

Gold Member

Post Number: 4937
LOL.....seriously though check out the weblink and youll get a better idea what they are doing...I was using 6 inch pvc but they are using sonotube
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us