Ot-dirtbikes

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2685
okay guys a guy at work said they used power bands back in the early 80's on bikes. But i dont think they did till around the 90's. So if someone could help me out and tell me when they started using them please let me know. I tried looking it but can't find it anywhere so please articles would be awesome to.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1660
Late 80's, I had a KX 60, 80 and a YZ 250 (liquid cooled). Power band is just a description of the bikes rmp range that it produced its max power. The idea was to make a bike that peaked at a decent rpm/torque range (2cycle) without overdriving the engine. I remember when they first came out they had the "snappy" sound to the exhaust and it literally walked away from you if you gave it to much gas the first time you wrode it! Now adays the two strokes have a nice wide power band that allows power through most of it usefull rpm range but most racers are going to 4 cycles due to the increased amount of torque and technology coming out for them. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2688
ya thats what i figured this guy is one of those no it alls and it just pisses me off if anyone can find a article please give it to me so i know the exact year

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 549
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=30

Anyone remember this site? Funny stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

4, 2 0

Post Number: 2376
what are you asking about powerbands, a powerband is the rpm range that the bike produces max power.

Gold Member

4, 2 0

Post Number: 2377
this sh1t never bumps

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1669
So technically power band has been out since the time of the first dirt bike. Sh!t I remember BullTaco and Hadaka (sp) dirt bikes. I knew one old man that had an Indian from the 70's. I remember the first liquid cooled, was bad as hell! :-O

Gold Member

4, 2 0

Post Number: 2381
h0ly sh1t^ that was a long time azz time ago, the oldest sh1t i ever been around was some late 80's three-wheelers, LOL. any1 else on here ride ATV's?

Bronze Member
Username: Motomaze

Ont Canada

Post Number: 41
whatcha got dustin? i have an 2007 500H.O e.f.i outlander max 1 up shes got balls

Bronze Member

Ont Canada

Post Number: 42
oh i had an 1981 can am 250 that had power band
real ugly bike with dual shocks on the back but very fast

Gold Member

4, 2 0

Post Number: 2384
nothing special, just a blaster but i have a lot of aftermarket on it, it keeps up with my friends 400ex, but this winter im gonna sell it and get a yfz450.

Bronze Member

Ont Canada

Post Number: 44
mines not a racer mines 4x4 here in canada we need them since we all live in igloos lol

Gold Member

4, 2 0

Post Number: 2385
LOL ya my dad has a scrambler 500 4x4 and that thing is badass, i love it this winter hopefully we can get a clutch and exhaust kit for it.

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 558
A little off topic but I had a 1984 Honda magna V30. (500cc) Also know as the "Baby" Magna, for those who don't know. At that time, the king was the V65. If you're asking about powerband, the magna pulled hard up to about 8 grand, then it shot you back like it was on NOS. The Honda V-4 engine in that time was the definition of top end powerband. So smooth and so God@mn sexy in the upper rpms it was too easy to get outta hand. Sorry, I miss my Magna as much as I miss my Camaro. Oh well....Upload

Bronze Member

Ont Canada

Post Number: 47
are u from canada? if you are heres a good link for parts www.royaldistributing.com

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1031
My old bike, I sold it last summer. A 1974 SX 125 by Harly Davidson. It had duel sprockets on the rear. On for street, 1 for dirt.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Ont Canada

Post Number: 51
harley davidson made 2 strokes? lol i never would have guessed lol
wow thats a cool bike man! should have kept it

Silver Member

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 561
I just sold my cruiser, cuz I have full custody of my son now and can't ride it anymore. Boo hoo.Upload

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1033
I wanted something faster.
my new dirt bike. 1996 BMW F650-ST (Street, Trail)

Upload

Bronze Member

Ont Canada

Post Number: 55
bmw? how are they? on the trail that is

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6874
I grew up riding bikes, I had a xr 50,xr 80, xr 100, kx 80, yz 125, and a cr250(which I still have). I miss my kx 80 the most:-( I have 2 polaris spotsman 500's but I preffer my bike. I want a harley so bad but my father in law almost got killed in a bike accident when my wife was a kid so she is completely against it:-( so I con'd my way into getting my boat:-)

Silver Member

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 564
Know how it is. I love bikes. Ridden them since I was 15. I just hate that Since I'm a single parent and can't take the chance of getting hurt, I have to dump the bike, for now. I'd like to get back into it when my son is over 12 or so. We'll see......

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1670
I have been into bikes since I was like 6 maybe even 5. My first real bike was a Honda mini trail 50, 3 speed loved it sooo much that I recently bought a replica monkey bike which started out as a 50 but with 4 gears now has a 86cc big bore kit. This little bike is great, has a top speed of around 60 and has a luggage rack that kas been configured for my 6 year old while the 3 year old sits up front on the tank. Each one of my kids wears a bike helmet but I never travel over the 15-20mph mark. We go to the trails and have over 600 miles on the OD with them, great times! I am sorry you got rid of your bike, being a parent is tough sh!t but I am proud of you's, being an active part of a childs life is very important. Maybe getting a small bike to introduce your child to the great world of biking may be in order? Polo... :-)

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1672
Upload

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1035
They won the Paris to Dakar race 4 times, I love mine in the woods, It has plenty of power to get me thru some narley spots. I do need more traction as my tires are geared towards street and lite trail rideing. I got in trouble last Monday Columbus day, Was powering up a steep hill on power line trail and hit a huge rock with my shifter lever. I had to baby it in 1st till I found a olp pipe to bend it out again. But man, what a nice day that was for riding. Wont see one of them till next year now. And Paul, kids grow up so fast, so you'll be riding again before you know it. And they will probably have some realy cool bikes out then too!

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1676
Funny thing is I am 200 lbs (solid or course, lol) my six year old is 60lbs and the little guy is 48lbs, that is a lot of weight on that little trail or ours! I can climb a steep hill with it and all three of us, I mean a steep hill like a sled hill, lol. The last time we ran up the hill we had the whole football team cheering us on, gotta make a movie of it, lol. Polo.. :-O

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6877
I agree Polo, I got my fist bike when I was 8 it was a 87 honda xr 50:-) I have been around them my whole life, I have 42 acres of land in new Hampshire which I grew up riding on which was passed down to me and my brother. My wife is cool with dirt bikes just nothing on the street. My oldest son is about to turn 6 so I have been struggling wether to get a 50-90cc quad with the remote shut off or a little 50 moto? what do you think? Yes man being a role model to your kid's is awsome I never really had that, my dad worked really hard for what he had but never really hung out with us like I do with my boy's. It's awsome when you ask them who there best friend is and they say you:-)

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1677
I agree, time spent with them is never wasted. My wife and I have both put our professions a side to keep them out of day care. A quad would be sweet for him will teach him responsibility and when he needs to be disiplined it is another foot hold you have against him, lol. You should see I have been teaching my son how to shift a 4 speed (auto clutch) he is getting the hang of it but I sit on the luggage rack to help him, he isn't ready for it alone. The 86cc will walk away from him pretty quick, lol. Polo.. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 97
last summer i bought a 1978 yz250 with a crack in the tank. the tank is plastic so thet created some problems for me fixing it because i didnt know how and i couldnt find an identical gastank so i just decided to get a 79 gas tank. the front mounts fit but the back mounts didnt so i cut some 1/4 inch steel and drilled holes at either end. connected the hole at one end to the gas tank and then connected the hole at the other end to the frame. therw on a little duck tape to cover the corners. now it is good as new.
i also have a rt100, 250 on/off road, kawasaki bayu 220 quad, some POS gocart, and my mom has a 883 sportster that she never rides and i do all of the time.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6918
yup agreed:-) I have let him steer my quad's and he gets the hang of it. He has had a H2 power wheels for the last 2 years so he got this jist of how to steer. Up untill this year he has never expressed any interest in going off the grass. Now he tries climbing rock's and stumps so I think he is ready for the step up. Have you looked into the smaller quad's that have the governer's and the remote shut off's? They have become so affordable it's crazy not to look into them.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1678
Ya, I have looked into the replicas, the Honda reps that use Lifan engines. They are durable, cheap and function nicely, easily under a grand.

Here is some e-bay links for them, nice and cheap, full auto, governor and remote. The Honda clone engine has the same craftmanship and they perform awesome for the money! Polo.. :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/49cc-NEW-MINI-ATV-QUAD-4-WHEELER-4-STROKE-OAK-CAM O-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ100469QQihZ018QQitemZ280038125664QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/49cc-MINI-KIDS-ATV-QUAD-4-STROK-REMOTE-BLU-FREE-S HIPPNG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ100469QQihZ018QQitemZ280038397208QQrdZ1

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6956
Thats exactly what I am talking about. I think I have a good x-mas present:-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6957
thanks man:-)

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1679
No prob! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums