Blowing a sub

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

Steamboat springs, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 673
is it possible to blow a sub or speakers if they are underpowered?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1826
yes, you can clip them to death.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7102
why are you posting this rob? lol

NO, technically you CAN NOT blow a speaker by underpowring it, if you could, then your speakers would blow every time you turned down the volume.

the only way you can blow a speaker by underpowering it is if the amp clips the signal, thus exceeding the Thermal or Mechanical limits of the sub.:-)

/end thread

Silver Member

Post Number: 674
well lets say i turned the volume up on my HU all the way up on a sub that's rated at 1000w rms, and the amp only puts out 800, would that blow it or over excurt it? just wondering

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
i don't know stuff like this becuase i don't exactly have the money or the balls to test it out, lol.

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7106
well, depending on the HU, it will clip the signal to the amp, and then the amp will amplify the clipped signal and send that to your sub. you should set your gains with your HU at no more than 3/4 volume.:-)

and no, you won't blow that sub with 500watts....it is when it isn't loud enough and you either

A. crank the HU some more
B. crank the gains some more

that will cause the amp to clip and blow the sub.

the reason most people recommend more power than necessary is b/c you will reach the subs xmax faster with more power than less(so you will hear the sub becoming sloppy) and back the volume down a little, instead of it not being loud enough and cranking the aforementioned a or b and thus blowing the sub.:-)

Gold Member

Try Google

Post Number: 7107
EVERY body should read that so they understand why headroom is a good thing.:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us