Upgrading Sub/amp, would like some input

Username: Vladimer

Canada

Post Number: 3
currently have a 12" infinity sub (model: 1230w)
in a large ported box, dont remember specs off hand
http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF1230W

its being powered by a ultimate T3 2050 amp
http://www.ultimate-sound.com/products_t3_amplifiers.html

i recently installed 3-way 300w 6x9's and 230w 6 1/2's in the car with a clarion 4 channel amp (APX4240) and noticed that when the volume goes up the sub cant handle the bass, starts sounding pretty bad, not im not sure if this is the sub or the amp because at this point the amp is turned up to pretty much the max it can handle and the sub looks like its taking it fine,

heres some of the choices i was thinking about:

1. upgrade the amp to a alpine v12 model or a clarion one, trying to stay within these 2 because i want to have the 2 amps look the same, and purchase another infinity sub (same one) and put them in a ported box

2.upgrade amp to alpine v12 / clarion. go with 2 12" W3v3's from JL in a ported box http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=25

3.upgrade amp to alpine v12. go with 2 12" Alpine type - R's in a ported box

now amp wise, im not really sure what i should go with

so any help with this would be fantastic, looking for abit more of spl but dont want it to sound like crap, because the current setup sounds very nice... but still want more :-)

thanks for any help

Silver Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 360
hey man I have one of those infinity subs just sittin in my room. It is in excellent condition and I would sell it to you for like 55 shipped or so. let me know if you are interested. and I would sell that T3 and buy a kicker kx200.4 and kx600.1 for your amps. they match and are great amps. and would be perfect for your setup.

the 200.4 is around 85 on ebay and the 600.1 is around 180 at hifisoundconnection.com

not bad for 2 really nice amps. should sound very nice.

let me know about the sub if you want it.

Username: Vladimer

Canada

Post Number: 4
if your alright with shipping to canada then ill definitly consider it.

quick question on the power of the amps and all, one thing i never fully understand about it all. correct me if i get this wrong :-)

the infinity subs both are 300rms and 4ohm, so wired in a series im looking for a 2ohm mono amp right?

now the kicker puts out 300rms at 2ohm, looks like its a match but then i gota go through selling my 4 channel amp so there both the same,

the 400w clarion mono amp puts out 500rms at 2ohm, and it matches my other amp and its suprisingly cheaper then the kicker

now would this be a better choice? or is clarion just a bad choice in amps

Silver Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 361
alright well ive never used clarion, but know that kicker is great stuff when it comes to amps. I will check with the shipping to canada.... and i guess you could use your clarion if you want, seeing is the infinity subs have a range of rms from like 50-300 I think. so it wouldnt hurt em. yeah the 2ohm mono amp is what you are looking for. any other questions just ask.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us