J/W HID KIT

Silver Member
Username: Bernymac

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 515
I want to get a HID kit for my car, 99 gmc yukon. I know this isnt the forum, but I'm sure someone has some knowledge about HID and can probaly give me some help if thats not to much. Anyways, do you have to have projector headlights to run HID's? or can you run them in a normal sealed healight.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 7086
you would simply take out your OEM headlight assembly and replace it with one that has the projector like bulbs and the wires big enough to hanlde the extra current(heat) for the HID bulbs

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 565
I would imagine those have a bigger draw of current but I don't have much knowledge of HID's because I never really cared for them.Hope it doesn't strain your alternator any more.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 517
I want HID's because with my current lights, I can only see like 10ft ahead of me, which isn't even enough! I simply drive by know the road because I can't see anything. So HID's is my future mod. Hope they have a kit for my car.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 583
Have you tried changing the current bulbs out?That might be a good idea first lol.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 518
Yeah, I tried plenty of times. And I get the same result. I was going to buy these projector headlights for my car on ebay. But for like 300 more I can get some good quality stuff (HID) so why bother with those projectors from ebay. But does HID require projector headlamps?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 6823
have you tried the sylvania silverstar's? they have worked very well for me in all of my vehicle's in the past.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 519
I heard they were "good" but no I haven't tried them yet. Do headlamps with smoked chrome housing work as good as the chrome housing? Because I need to go with that black housing look.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 584
The HID will actually take a strain off of your alternator :-) The kit should come with everything you need.Careful though,some HID kits are illegal but I'm not sure of the circumstances.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6827
the silverstars keep your stock housing. They just produce a very nice white(HID look) light. They are 50% brighter then all halogen bulb's. They are much cheaper then HID's. In my Jeep I could not see a damn thing with the stock bulb's, the siverstar's made a huge difference.

Bronze Member
Username: Zoomiebird

Post Number: 45
i bought some projectors for my honda and the light is awsome. it takes all the light the gets wasted going up down and side to side and puts it all on the road ahead. i get drivers all the time who flash their lights at me thinking i have my brights on. btw i also have a black housing and it makes no difference. hoe this helps.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 520
I just need to do something about my headlights! And hid would be nice imo. But I dont know whats required to do HID. Do you need projector headlamps, or can you use a regular headlamp. Does the headlamp need to be made of glass (I heard that somewhere) or can it be made of plastic, I heard that the HID's get hot thats why. So I want to see what I need before I actually get the kit itself.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 587
HID lights generate less heat than halogen.Don't worry about that :-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6829
you can't simply add a HID bulb to your stock housing. The light would be scattered all over up down left right and so bright you would blind oncoming driver's, and I bet it wouldnt be to long before you got a ticket. To convert to HID youneed a new bulb, and projector housing. I would check with local law's because last I heard they banned all HID conversions in california.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 521
I was thinking about upgrading to these, because my bumper and corner lights are black housing, so this will match best. But the halos are just like regular....just with halo's. And the projector has projector. I just want the one that will give me the best result and If I can add hid to one of them or both I take either.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 522
Heres my car btw, thats why I want black housing for the top.

Upload

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 523
I hope they didn't ban HID's in cali, that would suck. Such a nice upgrade imo. Always wanted Hid's on my truck too.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

WASSUPUSA

Post Number: 6279
nice car berny. like your rims.

damn nice car and nice subs, you got going on brother. its groovy.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 524
I was looking for help on lights but thanks haha. A man works hard for what he has.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6832
I am pretty sure they are banned in CA, nice truck by the way.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 527
Thanks James. Its been with me since 03. Hope it will be with me years to come.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6834
I am sure it will, those motor's last a long time.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 529
I actually found something today on a website, wanted to swap my motor out for something with more power. They have a direct drop 383 that has like 340hp/435tq. Thats my future plan if my motor dies =).

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=184746

Not sure if it'll go in my Yukon or not so I emailed them, be one extra badass yuk. Hope it does :D.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6839
it should be a direct swap, the 383 is just a bored and stroked 350.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 532
Yeah thats what I thought. Actually I want to go get my motor bored and stroked. That way I don't have to spend 5grand for that motor in that link. But not sure where I can go to do such a thing =\. I trying to reach 400hp-450hp with my yukon with mad tq. Always a dream of mine.

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 662
What does HID stand for anyway?

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 534
High I(something) Density

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1234
high intensity discharge..

i replaced the bulbs in my jetta with some nokya 8500k .. melted two different sets of factory wire harnesses so i now have the normaly bulbs in

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 536
that sucks. I use to have nokya bulbs in my car. At first it was nice, then it got dim, dimmer, then it was like my bulbs before it.

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1237
i had mine for about a month until it managed to toast the sockets.. then i replaced the sockets with oem from autozone. they lasted about a week before they started to melt again

you can get heat resistant sockets off ebay for cheap though but im not gonna mess with it for a while

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6841
well if you get it bored and stroked you will be at 340, a supercharger would be very nice, and you will easily be at your 400hp mark. If not you could always do intake,exaust,supertuner,ect.... to get up there also.

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1238
actually a supercharger normally gives 50% more hp & tq .. so if he had 340 to begin with he should be right up around 500 after the supercharger given he has the correct flow through the motor.. not to mention you'll need to reprogram the ecu

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6846
yup thats why I said easily be t the 400 mark he was trying to reach. Supercharger is deff the best mod, but also the most expensive.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 537
If I could get my engine bored and stroked I would do it in an INSTANT! I just woke up btw. I have a intake and magnaflow exhaust right now, giving me roughly around 20-25 extra hp. Its a mod I'm definitely looking forward to do, thats if I can do so.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 538
Alright guys, I read somewhere on a Forum and a guy said that for me to do HID's I need to convert my headlamps to H4 headlamps. For 1, whats H4? does anyone know. I kinda looked it up but all I got was clean lens. The ones I have right now are composite. Anyways. does H4 Mean clear lens, and if so, I can use one of the headlights I have pictured above. Thanks.

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 539
my bad, I said clear, what I mean by clear is, theres no lines running horizontal and vertical that causes the light to reflect up, down, side to side, and so forth. Clear like the ones I have pictured above.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 6853
http://www.coolbulbs.com/H4_body.asp check that out

Username: Vladimer

Canada

Post Number: 5
i can give you a link for the forum i use for my car, few guys that sell HID kits, range between 220-300 usd, have them installed on my car H7 (driving lights) and H3's (fog lights) and never had a problem

you can install them on projecter or the headlamps that have just a big lense (big splash of light on the road)

buddy of mine drives a golf, doesnt have projecters and i installed the HID kit there, works fine, crapload of light

theres no extra heat with the HID's either, they use less power then your halogen bulbs

try to stay away from those 'HID look alike bulbs' some of them might 'look' like HID's but those are the ones that heat up alot because the way they get the HID look is by drawing more power so they shine brighter but also increase the heat alot and then you run the risk of melting things

only way you cant isntall your own HID kit is if your headlamp is entire 1 unit where you have to replace the whole headlight if your bulb burns out, other then that its a simple install

Silver Member

Rialto, CA United States

Post Number: 540
yeah cool. whats the forum? I just got done fixing my fog lights because they never use to work. So I have to check if that made a different in a few hours when it gets dark.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us