Question for experienced box builders

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1224
Ok.. after a lot of contemplating and measuring I've come up with this for external measurements..

17x39x16.5
5.046cu.ft (before displacement)

No more pulling boxes in and out of my car so I'm going to make interchanable ports.. for starts I'm thinking 28,35,and 40.

28hz - 10x4x35
35hz - 10x4x16.5
40hz - 10x6x20.5

Now the questions begin..

If I made the 28hz port 10x3x21.5 have a port noise problem? Normally long ports with a small width yield noise but cutting an inch in width ill dramatically reduce the length.

The 40hz port is going to be for SPL comps. Would the width of the port yield better results over a port tuned to the same frequency with a smaller width?

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1225
I'm open for new port dimensions.. i.e height, width, whatever it takes. Just looking on some advice. Don't want to create something with bad port noise. The port edges will be rounded off to reduce it as much as I can but a poorly designed port would not help me with my cause :-) .. I know a bit about box building but this is my first attempt at interchanable ports and I don't feel like messing something up

Username: Mschwitz

Milwaukee, Wi

Post Number: 7
Just buy a bunch of 4" PNR ports and cut the different lengths, duct tape the ports together and switch middle pieces when you want to change. Much easier to trim and tune with than slots, and less port noise.

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1227
i don't like the way round ports sound.. the only ones i'd buy are the flared ends and those can get pricey. im trying to keep the cost low

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1232
bump

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 548
You can't get something for nothing :-(

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1233
yea but i can reduce the price by using the extra wood i'd have from building the box .. i.e using it for the ports :-)

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1236
still nothing... bump again

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1249
bump .. only two more shows till finals so if something does not work with the new design I need time to switch everything back

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1258
... i give up

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1248
dude, 3 inches is enough, i usually do like 6 inches just cuz it looks sick and does nice hair stands, but 3 inches shouldnt have too much port velocity, and 4 the 40hz idk it might not have enough velocity because theres not enough sq inches, how many square inches is it? i dont feel like calculating that, my brain hurts

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1259
the 40hz port is 6 inches wide.. 102.5 square inches ... unless my math skills are wack

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1260
its roughly 20 square inches of port per cu.ft of box.. i know its more than recommended but my current box has quite a bit of port area and it puts up 145s @ 42hz

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3513
w/ that 10"x3" port, you may run into port noise.

try 10"x3.5" 25" long...you will get ~4.0cuft tuned to 28hz after all displacments. round off the ends of the port and you should be good to go.

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1251
oh dang sorry, i didnt notice the 6 inch wide port i thought they were just shorter, yeah they all look good to me, port area and stuff at least, i wouldnt worry about it

Gold Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 1261
thanks marshall :-) ... i was worried about the port noise.. im running a 35hz port now and it seems fine so if the 28hz one has bad port noise its not that big of a deal cuz i can switch out to the 35hz soon enough lol..

so you think i'll be fine with 10x3.5x25 .. minimum port noise? think 4cu.ft will be too big considering the sub will be powered by that 35.1? im willing to reduce the box size if need be.. of course i still have bracing to add and such so ill just have to factor everything in. i was thinking about going to 3.5cu.ft .. which do you think will yield better results

3.5cu.ft
4.0cu.ft

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1256
idk, i dont think there would be any
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us