Custom box

Username: 3kgt

Post Number: 9
so i was thinking of building some custom boxes made out of plexi glass for my 400peak watt 6x9's....looking for some thoughts on it... i was gonna use 1/4 plexi glass and some silicone caulking with some metal straping for reinforcement on the corners and then possibly some small ports... cause they push a bit of bass...lol... any thoughts..... and if not plexi glass some kind of material that isn't heavy.....

Gold Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 1119
plexi would look cool, and perform well.. but I wouldn't port a set of 6x9's, too much work considering it won't make much of a difference..

I'd use a thicker plexi, so you can predrill (very carefully!) with a fine tip, and screw it together with tiny screws.. I wouldn't bother siliconing it, the speakers won't put too much of a strain on the box, but if you must then I'd us clear when dry (clear) silcon inside the box along the seams.

One tip that will make all the difference in the world... pre-drill and do it very, very, very! carefully when using plexi.. or you can use plastic cement and slop it up :-)

Oh, and the max rating on your speakers is false most likely inflated.. and you should always go off of the RMS rating.

Username: 3kgt

Post Number: 10
thanks for the tips... i was gonna go off the rms rating but i couldn't think of it off the top of my head.... do u happen to know of another way to cut it besides scoring it a BAJILLION times... cause thats gonna take forever and if u use a saw of any sorts its gonna heat up the plastic and crack :-(

i was also thinking of painting parts of the inside chrome with a spary paint and adding a neon light... for some spice...lol... :D

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 499
good luck the tre k got sh!t for space lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us