Biamping

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 635
Could someone explain this to me a little more in depth please :-)

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1217
you put 2 amps to one sub?

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 636
Not sure really. a guy on the 350z forums mentioned biamping his componets wiht a 4 channel JL amp. i asked his to elaborated but he hasnt repled

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1218
he may have been talking about putting an amp for the fronts and an amp for the back, i dont think he ws gona bridge 2 amps to all his speakers, but idk. the only kind of biamping ive ever done is putting 2 amps on each there own VC of a sub

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

WASSUPUSA

Post Number: 6190
biamping is when you power the tweeter and the woofer separately in a component speaker set. so with a 4 channel amp, you would use 2 channel to power the tweeters and the other 2 channels to power the woofer.

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 637
You wouldnt use the crossover that came with the speakers then would you? Just use the HP and LP filters on the amp? Is it better to do it this way?

Gold Member

WASSUPUSA

Post Number: 6191
most of the xover that comes with the component speakers have the biamping option. you will see another set of input on those. also a jumper or a switch needs to be moved if you decide to biamp your speakers.

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 638
i just looked and my focals dont have that.

Gold Member

WASSUPUSA

Post Number: 6193
hmmmm. so your xover only has 1 input and 2 outputs?

if that is the case and you want to do power your components separately, i suggest using an xternal xover.

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 639
yep 1 in and 2 out :-(

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 640
I was looking at the Rockford 3sixty.2 for eq and crossovers

Gold Member

WASSUPUSA

Post Number: 6194
thats an idea. but let me ask you something, why do you want to biamp your speakers? the focal xovers make it sound nice.

Silver Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 641
He said after he bi-amped them off the JL 300/4 it sounded twice as good. Im looking at differnt options now cause im still buying stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 190
The full answer about biamping is increadibly long, but the basic benefits are that it allows you to more fully control the dynamic aspects of the woofer/tweeter relationship.

Back in the day (when we had to walk to the shop uphill in the snow both ways) guys would often run woofers and tweeters from a different manufacturer and build their own crossovers to suit their needs, when amps started getting better crossovers the practive of biamping came into it's own as a way to save some time. These were called active systems and often sounded a LOT better, because the crossover point could be fine tuned without rebuilding a new passive box.

Today biamping's main benefit is two fold, independent control of the tweeter and midbass driver's levels, and more accurate control of the crossovers of those two components.

For the average person biamping is unnecessary, but for the person who wants that level of detail it can be a lifesaver. I personally biamp the speakers in my car front and rear and will attest that I am happy that I did.

Sorry if anything here doesn't make sense, I'll clear it up later. Just woke up. :-)

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1220
http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

there ya go that should help

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

Cork, Cork Ireland

Post Number: 290
Nope, it doesn't really sound twice as good, maybe a bit better. You will only have the biamp option on some nicer speakers like Morel, MB Quart and a few others, . Rockfords and lower line Focals are not among the nicest speakers:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us