Prolly a random question...but......

Silver Member
Username: Kevbo887

Post Number: 122
I was wondering if it was possible to test out if subwoofers are blown without hooking them up to an amp. I have a 4 channel amp currently (not bridgeable) so Im assuming that is out of the question. I wont be getting the mono amp in untill Fridayish. Curiosity is starting to get to me wether or not these two JBL's I got work. Basically my friend gave me a nice dual 10" box with two JBL's in it, which he claimed he couldn't get to work on his 5-channel Kicker amp. Im wondering if he hooked it up somehow incorrectly causing him to wonder if the subs were blown.

Use a resistance meter? Anyway to just hook it up to my head unit or to a stereo inside of my house? I know it obviously wont get the power it needs, but just to see if it even budges. That way I can replace them before the amplifier comes in. I know Best Buy and Circuit City charge you like $25 dollars to do it, but id rather not.

Also, if they are blown, anyway to fix them and give them away?

I know its prolly a stupid question, but I figured id ask all of you all since you guys are pretty helpful. Thanks!!

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Oregon U.S.

Post Number: 301
push on the cone and if you hear a scratching noise then thats no good.

Silver Member
Username: Kevbo887

Post Number: 123
Ill have to give that a shot tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 1072
You can hook them to the 4 channel, just to check that they make noise and work. I wouldn't keep them hooked up to it for long but you can do it just to test them.

OR

You can use a Digital Multi Meter to test the resistance

OR

You can make friends with a person at Circuit City and ask nicely if they'll do it on the side for you

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 2063
U CAN PUT A AA BATTERIE JUZT LIKE AN AMP THE + TO+ AND - TO - AND IF U HEAR SOUND OR THE CONE MOVES THE WOOFER ITS OK
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us