Break in period for subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 16
Hoping y'all can chime in on your experience with breaking in subs. I've heard everything from it's not necessary to 80 hours of break-in is essential.

I've got Polk 12" subs, and they recommend 20-40 hours I think.

What exactly needs the break in period, the voice coil? The rubber surround? the cone?

Anyone have any horror stories about blowing a sub due to not breaking it in properly?

Anonymous

breaking in a sub at low volumes for about 20 hours will losen all the moving components in the sub as well as get the voice coil conditioned for more power later on. if you crank it right away you can damage the sub, sometimes it will still work but won't sound as good as it should. hope that helps

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 18
I'm looking for more specific info. It seems like good common sense to not crank it right away, but specifically why? What material is the voice coil that it needs 20 hours to break in?

Any experts please weigh in, or lead me to a site with more info, thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 20
It's good to break in subs because it lets the suspension get worked in a bit. If you don't break it in the suspension may be a bit to stiff for full power and stuff could start tearing apart. This happend to me when I first got into the whole car stereo thing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us