Is it true that using a sony head unit will make your subs not as loud as they would be with a nice head unit like alpine or eclipse

Username: Rickross

Post Number: 7
someone told me this is it true

Silver Member
Username: Grebnereon

Post Number: 246
hope not cause i got a Sony Hu

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 204
thats true because an eclipse hu's and other hu's probably have 4v preouts. a sony probably doesnt have 4v preouts.

Silver Member
Username: Seth_walker

U.S.A.

Post Number: 158
^^^^^it doesn't really matter about what your preouts are. that's what the gain on your amp is for.

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1392
Most Sony HU are junk. Although, I don't think that it neccisarily means that you subs won't be as loud. What they meant was probably that Sony HU dont have as high of preout voltage for the amplifiers as nicer HUs like Alpine or eclipse do. In any case, if you don't already have a Sony HU don't buy one.

Silver Member
Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 235
I would have to say most headunits have only 2v pre-amp outputs. Going from 2v to 4v isnt that much of a difference.
Your amplifier for your subwoofers would just have to work harder to compensate for having lower pre-amp outputs.
So to answer your question, I would say no because it all depends on the amplifier you are using for your subwoofers.

You will have to turn the gain up on your amplifiers a bit.

As far as Alpine goes, the new Alpines are hardly better than Sony.

Which model Sony is it?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1054
sony the higher models arnt bad at all from my experiance. and it doesnt matter what the pre out voltage is just if you set your gains right. and alot of pioneers and alpines pre out is 2v also.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 6751
Sony's tend to clip at lower volume levels, and depending on the model, don't have a very high pre-out voltage.

and YES pre-out voltage does matter...a higher voltage out has a lower noise floor:-)

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 1058
what do you mean by lower noise floor?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us