Dust caps: What's the deal with......

Username: Style_front

Post Number: 8
some popping out of the speaker like a FI Audio sub and others looking non existant, or taking the natural bowl shape of the speaker like a JL W7.......is there any difference in sonic reproduction between the two, or just a different way of doing business?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 232
AFAIK, its just a different way of doing business.

A sub will run without one, and sound the same. It is just what the name implies, a dust cap.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 932
Wouldn't the sub not be sealed (if in a sealed enclosure) if the dust cap were removed??

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 233
Dunno, good question. Ive only run two subs sealed in my whole 33 years. The other eleventybillion were ported.

So i asked: This was the reply.

"it adds rigidity to the cone, seals the woofer off wave wise" -- Lloyd

Back to the drawing board for me!

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1211
well, ive seen flat cones that were supposed to reproduce sound waves better, and if you think about it it should make a differance

ill draw a picture and get back to you

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1212
i hope you catch the jist of what im trying to say
image/bmpUpload
its what speakers do.bmp (92.0 k)

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 948
sweet pics !

I dunno, theoretically it seems that you're correct.. I mean, my eclipse's have a solid "bowl cone" but I don't know.. :\

Silver Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 141
you forget pressure behind the cone as well...(backpressure) the sub bass frequencies are omni directional and in a car... seems like it's everywhere. but a dust cap is a dust cap.(don't get me wrong there will be slight differences, but for mids and tweets there are major characteristics at play...) in a box there will be pressure and that pressure will change with power and size of the enclosure as well as subwoofer placement on the box's mounting plane. air pressure will excite the cone causing rocking of the cone... ( LOTS OF ANOMALIES HERE! ) hope that sheds some light or pulls u into the dark side a things...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us