Honest opinion...DHD 12" flat cone sub...good or bad?!

Username: Bruhneedluv2

Post Number: 1
I need some help. I recently bought a Volfenhag 1600 watt amp and a MTX 6000 12" sub.I bridged the amp and I blew the sub after two days on half the gain. I wanted to get something different as far as looks and performance. I recently purchased the DHD 12" DVC sub. I haven't read much about the DHD sub but have seen in quite a few mags due to its flat cone and some bragging about higher SPL ratings due to the design I wanted to know if the that sub is a good one or not. I have owned other amps (Roc Fos, Legacy, Hifonincs, and Alpine) and they push excellent, BUT the Volfenhag simple design, chrome case, old school VU meters , and cooling fan for only $126 does really good.

sorry I dragged out the co-signing of Volfenhag amps. I really need to know if that DHD is a good sub or not. I know how to wire series and parallel; but I am afraid to wire the DVC on the sub to 2 ohms because of these specs on the amp:

1600 = 800x2 peak
320x2 @ 2 ohms
220x2 @ 4 ohms
and 640x1 @ 4 ohms

but here is the kicker: it's 2 ohm stable. yet it did not specify whether one channel was stable for two ohms. I may have answered my own question, but I need an objective view on the matter. True, opinions are subjective, but I need another opinion.

Let me also say that I am not trying to compete with anyone about the greatest this or the worst that. I merely need an "expert's" opinion about an item I purchased.

Expert to me = someone who is an audiophile completely and take pride in their car audio system.

thanks!!!

x
Unregistered guest
no

Post Number: 3
Also, please give me some reasons why as well

X, your answer was no. Why is that?

x
Unregistered guest
how did you wire/bridge your sub to the amp? if the sub was any good it shouldnt have blown after 2 days if it was wired correctly, what is the RMS handling power of the sub?

Post Number: 4
I wired the amp per instructions (left + and right -) and the sub was the MTX 6000 series 12 svc 250 RMS/500 peak. when I first hooked up the speaker it worked fine. I flatlined the bass on my headunit as well. two days later the speaker blew. I unscrewed the speaker and there was smoke coming out the box. It shocked me. ever since then, I order that DHD sub and praying for good luck on that one

x
Unregistered guest
ahh the smell of burnt voice coils i know it well. 640w rms amp is a bit big for a 250w speaker i guess you realise that now as well, please tell me the DHD sub you bought is 500w RMS+, you have to have your amp and sub balanced a bit better than before andrew.

Post Number: 5
yes that sub is. I just love the way it looks. Also the amp was on half gain. that would burn the sub on half the gain? also, with that rms rating cut in half that would blow a sub?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2775
volfenfag and dhd are both toal flea market crap.
sorry.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2776
*total that is

Post Number: 6
Glasswolf, I dont mean any harm but why do you bad mouth everyone else's products? Not to say that you have a personal vendetta against anyone other than the higher end brands, but I have read other reviews from you and you simply blast everyone else unless they have those brands or higher. the only reason why I bought these products is because they were featured as good products. I understand Lanzar, Jensen, Boss, and Legacy to be crap only from experience. Yet I have met people who have bought the products and they are still lasting with their flea market products. In addition to that, where I am from the higher end brands are sold in flea markets as well such as JL Audio, Crossfire, Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion not because they are flea market brands, but because renting a booth in the flea market is cheaper than the expenses to run a larger facility. so are those brands flea market as well? To top it all off, (specifically concerning Volfenhag amps) there is a business called Temptation Audio out here that recommends only oriental and german products. Reason being is because the owner calls these manufacturers and actually find out what it takes to truly make the products fully function as opposed to a store trying to make the quick dollar on a product that is wack, good, or great.

Honestly, the only reason why these brands are getting bad wraps is because no one has won competitions with these products or want to give them a chance due to what his/her (yes I said her) friends said or the cost of the products. We as Americans are still stuck on "Buy American" when most of our parts are foreign to boot.

A lot of us in here are into the system for showing off to their friends...we simply want to know whats going on with car audio and want to know if the products we have will last or not.

When it is all said and done, if the cheap products sound just as good as the expensive products when properly wired, eq'd, and vibra-damped then the products' purpose is served, right?

Everyone is not in competition. People like me just want to appease themselves and have a fun hobby.

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 65
...andrew

i have to say this, glasswolf is perfectly correct when he says that brands such as boss, sony, lanzar, DHD, and others are total CRAP!

i have had experience w/ many brands, and yes "crap" brands may survive for a while but they are still just that...crap

every system i have heard or worked on w/ such equipment had noticable problems...

if you know what you're looking for when you hear system, you can usually notice some of its downsides. simple things like amps clipping.

the big thing is that people can buy better stuff than "crap" brands for about the same price. and if you have any idea how stuff "should" sound then you can tell the difference...

people that just get a sub and an amp just to have some bass may not know any better, and that may be a great set-up to them. thats why wal-mart carries sony, lightning audio, and stuff like that...just for the guy who doesnt know any better.

i would just advise people the stay away from such brands. but if they wanna through money away....its up to them

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2797
"When it is all said and done, if the cheap products sound just as good as the expensive products when properly wired, eq'd, and vibra-damped then the products' purpose is served, right?"

no. not true at all.

why did I bash the stuff? read the thread topic.
He asked for honest opinions, and I gave jsut that, based on over a decade of experience in this business.

If you disagree, that's fine too.

Post Number: 8
hey that is cool. I thought you may have been one of those guys that arbitrarily dis things because of personal bias. I appreciate the honesty on it all. also, be honest here as well: what "cheap" brand is actually good and some of you have worked with before but would not overall recommend it to someone?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2819
actually, audiobahn is better than companies like sony, pyle, pyramid, DHD, american bass, legacy, jensen, etc.. that fall apart, amost out of the box.
The thing about audiobahn is that their stuff is mediocre at best for performance, ususally sub-par on the lower end, and I am strongly against their business practices of setting sales quotas for their retailers, causing the products to be force-fed to the consumers.

Unregistered guest
I have a question real quick. I am going to run a 4 channel 1000 watt amp to four 240 watt speakers. Which would be the better amp, a LEGACY LA695 or a Volfenhag ZX-7160 RED? You can email me back a response if you know what your talking about at Dweems01@charter.net. Thanx.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2958
they both suck.
really.

Unregistered guest
Thats not true its not what you have its how its hook up my brother has a 1989 fleetwood cadi with six 2002 hollywood 10s in a band pass box and 4 4 channel optimus amp from radio shack and went to a few sound off and car shows and wor they a** out with this set up where talking about guys with name brand stuff Fosgate,kicker,mtx,etc these guys spent anywere from three to thirty thousand dollars on there systems all name brand and my brother went home with the gold he has six or more trohpy's in his house and right now to this day we still talk about it

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2961
and when he buys one of those amps and it dies in 3 months, and he complains about the crap quality, he can blame you, because I'll just sit back and say "I told ya so"

Bronze Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

Bc Canada

Post Number: 33
if u want performance, ditch the sh*t. get a jbl amp ull be happy with jbl.

appleswillalwaysbeapples
Unregistered guest
I like the Fuji more than the braeburn, or Red delicious...

It's flavor is more constant and its aftertaste, while subtle, is quite pleasing.

My apple sauce will make your bass machine cry...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us