Ohmage vs sound quality (regarding FI Q/PPI3000/1 combo)

Username: Style_front

Post Number: 1
I am online right now about to pick up a FI Q15 and I am trying to decide between the 1ohm dvc and the 2ohm dvc speaker. Ive read that the 1 ohm load has more distortion but 2 ohms has double resistance, or half the power. What's the real story hear, wich is better, looking for SQ system.

Thanks guys.

Post Number: 2
Just trying to figure out wich ohm load to wire my subs for the best signal. The ppi d3000/1 has plenty of power for this sub in either configuration (1000rms @ 2 ohms, or 1475rms @ 1 ohm), so in one hand there is a little better sound?...in a 2 ohm setup..... and in the other hand I can have 3000watts on tap, but I don't know if the FI Q can handle that much. What would you guys do?

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 802
@ 2 ohms the amp won't be working as hard as at 1 ohm.. so in theory, the sound quality COULD be better @ 2 ohms.. but most likely it's not going to be a noticable difference..

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Try Google

Post Number: 6602
if it is a quality amp, it iwl not make a difference....jut look for an amp that has a very low THD(lower than 1%) and high dampening(200 or more) there are a few other things but those should help you make your decision among amps...even then..ASK US!!!!!!!

b/c an Audiobahn amp can have a low THD and high dampening and still be a sh1tty amp. hahahahahaha

the PPI should be more than fine.:-)
i would run it at 2 ohms to give the sub 1000wRMS....it doesn't need anymore than that to reach full excursion in the right box.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 670
impedence and sound quality are not directly related.

the two impedence options are there solely for wiring options when matching up an amp. for example, someone with a kicker kx1200.1 would choose a dual 2 ohm Q, whereas a zx1000.1 owner would choose a dual 1 ohm Q.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2672
another question, what's the price on the PPI cuz their quality is not the same, and maybe you can get a better amp for the money, but if you can get it cheap, go for it

Post Number: 3
"another question, what's the price on the PPI cuz their quality is not the same, and maybe you can get a better amp for the money, but if you can get it cheap, go for it"

Ive never read any problem with the quality of PPI amps, and ive also heard one 500watt PPI amp powering 2 12 inch L7's pretty nicely.....the only complaint is they run hot.

Lemme find the link, ive seen it on ebay for 444, but ikesound has it for 420

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/5247

What is an alternative to the PPI?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2678
They're not bad, i've never said that, but saying that their quality is not the same, you might not get the product you have in mind...

For that amount of money i'd get a better amp...

ED nine 1, 315$ would be a good choice, good quality, cheaper and almost the same output with 100$ less

Post Number: 4
The output is not even similar, PPI is rated for 2000 max at 2 ohms and 3000 max at 1 ohm. I looked around online for a few minutes now and I can't find any max ratings for ED nine.1

Another amp I like is crossfire but the bigger ones are expensive.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3752
lol. another noob.. MAX rating have no such purpose whe looking at the amp specs, the amp will NEVER EVER put out a MAX power rating. thats the power that an amp can put out until the amp blows up basically. i woiuld get the ED for 315 and a full 3-year warrenty i belive also

Post Number: 5
How irritating, but thanks for your opinion. Thats what I'm trying to do hear what you guys think, or would do. I know the max is not important, rms is the indicator of an amps power capability.

The only reason I ask about max power is I thought that some amps were regulated, for example the JL 1000/1, it runs 1000 watts RMS @ 1.5-4 ohms, but thats all it will do, no surging up to 1500 momentarily because of the circutry (or some ish like that.....).

Post Number: 6
Perhaps I am wrong about the power being regulated though......

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 509
I havnt noticed really a difference in ohms unless i got from like 1-2 to about 4ohms..

Post Number: 7
I just read about a phoenix gold 1200 watt amp wich operates in the same way the JL amp does, full RMS at 1-4 ohms. Can any one confirm or deny this since PG doesn't mention this on there website for me? This sounds really interesting @ 400 dollars....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2679
^^^^^PG xenon 1200.1 great amp, not the same quality but works similarly to the JL and holds up 1 ohm load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us