Can i use a pc power to power a car amp?

Username: Djfreeki

Post Number: 1
i am doing some testing and i need to know if i can use a pc power supply with 13amps on the 12v rail to power a car amp that needs 15amps. i am just doin this for testing...please help me here

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 720
If your amp requires 15 amps, and your supply gives 13... you would be 2 amps short

----

Sorry, but you're probably going to want a bigger power supply :P

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 319
It will work enough to turn the amp on but as far as signal goes it will depend on the powersupply it self....most of the higher end computer powersupplies are underated on the amperage. all you can do is try it out.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 476
it might still give it the output but get the power supply extra hot and more stressed then its really recommended for.. but then again most power supplys are meant to put out a little more for amounts of time when your computer demands more... playing games.. cdrom going ect.. lol goto the computer forum and ask some of them about the power supplys? lol

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 998
a 15A amplifier will probably not ever require 15A during normal (low-med volume) listening. I would expect it to work fine until you decide to blast it. No guarantees though.

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1141
use a battery in there somewhere?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us