Subsonic filter with a sealed box?

Silver Member
Username: Sweatyogre

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 141
I heard that the subsonic filter is to be set to the frequency your enclosure is tuned to if you've got a ported enclosure, but I've got a sealed enclosure for my two Type S 12s. Should I use the subsonic filter on my amp at all?

Silver Member
Username: Cavsmaxima

New York United States

Post Number: 313
i think you only need the subsonic filter in a ported box

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 4060
You can still turn on your subsonic even on a sealed box. A good point to set it is 25hz. It can help your amp save power when the bass gets real low.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3077
it'll help keep your subs from bottoming out from receiving too much power or being in too large a box or just being crappy subs.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

MN United States

Post Number: 642
You should set the filter at 20Hz, you can set it a tad higher, like 22-25, if you would like. The human ear can't hear below 20Hz so those tones won't come through your subs if you have it set at 20Hz, saving more power for the tones you can actually hear.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3091
yeah, but the feeling of a sub 20Hz tone is great :-)

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1155
um, you can hear 10hz if its loud enough mick,
http://hhpbonline.com/bassvideos.html
the top one, i was in the passenger seat, believe me you could hear it

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1156
but yeah, you dont NEED an ss filter in a sealed box, you dont NEED one in a ported box but it wont hurt, especially in a ported enclosure

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3103
it is needed for a ported box unless you want your sub pushed beyond its mechanical limits.

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1161
its not needed
i ran 2 memphiss without one in 7 cubes at 350 clean rms more then they were rated for and they were fine... CLIPPING KILLS SUBS

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 652
Troy, the human ear can't hear below 20Hz, you probably heard the sub moving or vibrating things around it and not the tone itself.

I asked a teacher today during class, after reading into it online more, and she confirmed that 20Hz is the cut off.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 653
"Limits of perception
The human ear can nominally hear sounds in the range 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz (20 kHz). This upper limit tends to decrease with age, most adults being unable to hear above 16 kHz. The ear itself does not respond to frequencies below 20 Hz, but these can be perceived via the body's sense of touch.

Frequency resolution of the ear is, in the middle range, about 2 Hz. That is, changes in pitch larger than 2 Hz can be perceived. However, even smaller pitch differences can be perceived through other means. For example, the interference of two pitches can often be heard as a (low-)frequency difference pitch. This effect of phase variance upon the resultant sound is known as 'beating'.

However, the effect of frequency on the human ear has a logarithmic basis. In other words, the perceived pitch of a sound is related to the frequency as an exponential function. The 12-tone musical scale is an example of this; it evolved due to the way tones are perceived. When the fundamental frequency of a note or tone is multiplied by , the result is the frequency of the next higher semitone. Going 12 notes higher -- an octave -- is the same as multiplying the frequency by , which is the same as doubling the frequency.

The impact of this is that the raw frequency resolution of the ear is best judged in terms of semitones, or in 'cents' which is 1/100 of a semitone.

The "intensity" range of audible sounds is enormous. Our ear drums are sensitive only to the sound pressure variation. The lower limit of audibility is defined to 0 dB, but the upper limit is not as clearly defined. The upper limit is more a question of the limit where the ear will be physically harmed or with the potential to cause a hearing disability. This limit depends also on the time exposed to the sound. The ear can be exposed to short periods in excess of 120 dB without permanent harm, but long term exposure to sound levels over 80 dB can cause permanent hearing loss.

A more rigorous exploration of the lower limits of audibility determines that the minimum threshold at which a sound can be heard is frequency dependent. By measuring this minimum intensity for testing tones of various frequencies, a frequency dependent Absolute Threshold of Hearing (ATH) curve may be derived. Typically, the ear shows a peak of sensitivity (i.e., its lowest ATH) between 1kHz and 5kHz, though the threshold changes with age, with older ears showing decreased sensitivity above 2kHz.

The ATH is the lowest of the equal-loudness contours. Equal-loudness contours indicate the sound pressure level (dB), over the range of audible frequencies, which are perceived as being of equal loudness. Equal-loudness contours were first measured by Fletcher and Munson at Bell Labs in 1933 using pure tones reproduced via headphones, and the data they collected are called Fletcher-Munson curves. Because subjective loudness was difficult to measure, the Fletcher-Munson curves were averaged over many subjects.

Robinson and Dadson refined the process in 1956 to obtain a new set of equal-loudness curves for a frontal sound source measured in an anechoic chamber. The Robinson-Dadson curves were standardized as ISO 226 in 1986. In 2003, ISO 226 was revised as equal-loudness_contour using data collected from 12 international studies."

----From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia----

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 9234
can u say owned???

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2583
hahahah damn!

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1168
um, why did you paste that whole thing? the very begininning is the only part that had anything to do with anything, i read the whole thing and i think you just wanted to look smart or something, and btw, i know i heard 15hz cant explain it scientifically and im a very scientific person but i def heard it,

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1170
didnt bump

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 661
I didn't paste the whole thing, just the part that was good reading :-)

I know the begining was all that mattered, and if I had only pasted the begining you would have asked why I didn't paste the whole article.

Anyways, I'm not trying to look smart.. just get the facts out. You couldn't have heard 15Hz.. more than likely you felt it and your brain processed it as a sound.. and actually reading more and more into it it sure does seem that way.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1372
No - he could hear it. 20-20000 is the average audible range of human hearing. Some people can hear higher, or lower. Others not as much.

Saying 20hZ is the cutoff point for every human being on the face of the planet, is like saying every human being on the planet takes 5 minutes to run a mile.

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 666
There are a few that can hear 19Hz, but saying you can hear 15Hz is really pushing the honestly envelope.

I have no doubt that he felt the tone, I do doubt that he heard 15Hz.. another possibility is that he heard air escaping the port on the box rather than the tone itself.

Most likely he felt it and his brain processed it as a sound.

Your metaphor is really out there, since the human ear is only capable of processing certain tones and the human body has just about endless limits within endurance. For example, you can't go to the gym and workout your ear-drums to hear a 12Hz tone, but you CAN go to the gym and build the appropriate muscle matter to run a mile in 5 minutes or less.

SO, to say every human being on the planet can run a mile in 5 minutes... would be (with the exception of the physically ill) true. PROVIDED that they put the workout time in to build the appropriate index to run that mile :-)

I'm not in him, I can't say " YOU CANT HEAR IT I KNOW IM RIGHT" what I'm saying is it's like 1 in 1,000,000,000(example) chance that he can.. and there aren't that many people on the planet.. so he would be a very rare case. If he can actually hear a 15Hz tone he needs to preserve those ears from bass and noise over 80dB and get them in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2612
he's from other planet, right seth??

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1180
it sounded like wobbling, idk how to explain it, it wasnt air or vibrations, i dont know how to explain it, but that fricken car is SO loud, i bet that was like 145 @ 15, i would LOVE to test it just to see, i begin to tell you how loud it was, but then again alot of people have prolly heard something that loud and they cant begin to explain it to me either, 10 hz felt like it was sucking your eyeballs out, 15 you couldnt see and the dash move about an inch, idk why but in the video you cant see it, 20 the car sounded like it was gonna blow up, 25+ SO goddam loud unblievable, props to alex to that sick install, and the box is f-ed up, i cant wait till hes done with that thing then he'll tell you what he has, btw that video is lying about the power :-)

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3108
the wobbling was prob your sub's mechannical limits being pushed since you're prob not running a SS filter since you said its not needed for a ported box.

clipping destroys VC's, over excursion rips surrounds and spiders. both are considered blowing a sub.

Gold Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1184
ok, these arent my subs, he was underpowering them and might have been clipping them, im getting aggrivated, if you wanna get fresh, come down here and try, or maybe ill see you in daytona in december and ill bass race you there, im not som enoob you can pretend like you know what your talking abou to, i could hear it and thats the end of the f@cking story f@ck you, ill see you in daytona, if your not there its becaus your a sissy because you like 5 hours closer then i do, if you really have that system in your profile you better be hittin some numbers cuz its obvious youve got the money, f@ck yourself, last time im talking in this thread

Silver Member

MN United States

Post Number: 694
the early 90s accords must be popular! I drive a 91 ex-r :D

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 3119
actually, i 've changed my system around and its a straight SQ system. even with the 15, it was still an SQ system. numbers don't mean anything to me and i haven't said a thing about you or your numbers, only the reason this thread was started int he first place.

and i actually hope to start off my IASCA season at Daytona at Spring Break Nationals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us