Sketch Up Drafter Thread

Bronze Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 69
Seeing that were all posting various SketchUP enclosure designs, I figure why not have a thread devoted purely for them.

That way, all the designs are located in one place rather than all over.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3380
great idea...

here is my super portwars "box" :-)

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5697
Upload

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5698
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 952
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 525
i've been messing with sketchup, but when i put the cirlce on the box, its solid. How do I make it transparent?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5701
i make the circle first then i tube it. then i erase the tube and it becomes a hole.

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 816
Heres a quicky but I still do not know what I'm doing.. kept messing up and its no where near perfect but w/e..

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2562
how come i cant figure it out lol oh wait i just dont have any time to watch or read the tutorial maybe ill try now but guys nice job and phil thanks for introducing this to the site you are the man lol

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5704
okay guys here is the design i am gonna do if i don't do a wall

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1504
i like walls.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2563
lol i just tried it but im hvaing a little bit of trouble with the circle ports and putting them in the spots i want them stuff like that ad making the walls 3/4 inch thik didnt try that yet but its easy in a way just have to mess with it for a while

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
Chad,

You just couldn't wait till I got done, could you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
I went a different route with the port and I didn't have to split it like you did in your design.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Oh, Chad, one more thing, in your design where the port end terminate inside, it won't work because the subwoofer magnet is in the way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Chad,

Here's your enclosure.

The subwoofer's in the design are to scale according to the subwoofer's physical dimensions provided bt Scott @ Fi Audio

chad 1.jpg
chad 2.jpg

Silver Member

Post Number: 526
DAMN, keeps saying mine are too large. How do you save them and put them on?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Pixel size can't be any bigger than 600 x 600.

Silver Member

Post Number: 527
well how do i know what my pixel size is...I just save it when it asks...then when I try to load it on here it says that the file is too large..please hlpe

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1606
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Thump,

What program are you using to save an image of the sketchup design?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5709
awesome phil. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 6087
very nice, Phil and Polo!:-)

that box looks just about turbulence free...if you went with a rounded corners slot port. haha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Muddy,

Details, details!!!!!

I would of course round over all sharp edges of the slot port walls.

Chad, I shot you an e-mail.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 823
dittoo.. but you can double my design and use it :P

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 824
damn didn't see all these posts before mine went.. those designs are some great work.. how long did it take you guys to get where you did with that proggy?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5712
awesome phil. i sent you a reply with what i plan on doing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
It took me less than a few hours to full understand use the program.

The more detailed use / functions of the program took alittle bit longer to understand their use.

Functions such as smoothe curving, follow me, pushing and pulling took a bit more understanding to use them given the manner which certain details of a specific design detail need to be drawn first then proceed to the next detail to be drawn out.

It an easy program to use once you figure out how to use the various functions, but, it can be trying at times as well depending on the level of detail trying to be drawn.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1607
Took me about a 1/2 gallon of Vodka/Cranberry and a can of Cheesum's. I still have a lot of work to do still, have not achieved Zen, YET, lol. The only turbulance gonna be created in my box is from the internal ports itself notice there are no true 90deg back corners. Even though I cannot stand slots I am drawing one up now. The material used is not wood hence the color but a combination of sheetrock and composites. You have to use your imagination, I was looking at a concrete version, haha..:-O

PS- See Phil, you being a cabinet maker and showing your work has given people insight and ideas, great to have ya around! :-)

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5714
i am getting the hang of using this program. i just don't know how to use the tape measure. how do you mark it?

polo that box looks like its going to pound. nice and smooth flow of air. why not make the ports on the outside like the way you have it right now?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Chad,

I never recieved that e-mail you said you sent.

I take it your building the enclosure?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5716
no i replied to the one i sent you.

you are gonna build it. in 2 weeks i will pay you and you can start. i have some minor changes though. i need to shave off an inch off the front. as it turns out my seats will touch the sub if i don't.

you do accept paypal though right? thats the only way i can pay you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Polo,

The only inherent flaw with slot ports is the amount of wall surface area vs round port wall surface area.

The problem with round ports is fixed diameters as to the round port material - 4", 6", 8", you get the picture.

Slot ports have no such restrictions in terms of fixed SQ.IN. surface area which offers using slot ports more design flexibility to fit them in an enclosure design, therefore, you eliminate the use of multiple round ports that as you use more to gain surface area, the port gains lenght, therefore increase displacement, therefore increasing the size of the enclosure to fit them.

Then there's the issue of trying to fit all those mutliple round ports into the enclosure design if you don't have the room to do so.

So, while slot ports have their detractors for many reasons, the very minor flaws of their use is one of beating your head against a wall to fit multiple round ports vs designing an enclosure that a slot port will work within it.

I choose a slot port everytime.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1609
What you say is true but turbulance is also a factor with slots and it is well known fact a round is able to produce a wider band of frequencies and has a less steep rolloff than a slot. I know increasing the port volume will help with the turbulance but it will also keep you from playing real low due to the loss of control. To each his own mostly it is preference until someone designs a better port. Polo..

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5719
nice designs there phil, polo, marshall, and yes even kevin.

now lets see who draws the best house. lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Polo,

I could build two enclosures to the same spec's in net volume, port tuning and port area.

One with a multiple round ports and one with a single slot port equal to the same sq.in. port area.

Are you willing to bet that you would be able tell the difference just by listening to them and say which was which?

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 825
.. im trailing in last.. thanks chad! lol .. its all good.. i got qa crappy vid done chad go check it out

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5727
where?

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 827
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/271786.html ... its with my cell phone so its no bueno

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1610
I am not trying to argue with you Phil, like I said to each his own. Oh and ya I would know the difference that is why I Prefer round. Polo...

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3514
how would you calulate the colume of the box when having a weird round box like you have polo?

and chad, whats that in the middle of ur box? is that some kind of port firing up? and how did u calculate the volume of that box..

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5732
yeah thats a port. come on bassman you don't know how to calculate the volume of a box?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3516
lol. not with all those corners and sh!t and angles. i am good with makin boxes like reg square ones

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5733
scroll down to the the bottom of this site. there is a box shaped like mine.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1119
what program do u use to make those

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 3518
the "wedge enclosure 1"?? yea in know bout those, like the port is what is screwin me up, how you would make that huge as port to work to the certain tunin and suff? -- or you would just cut the peices out that is says to, and just place them like if it was a slot ported box? i guess, so i guess the upside down'ness is confusin me, lol

polo's box they dont have on the12volt.. cause his is straight on the front, and then rounds on the back, and i wouldnt know how to calculate that. im just curious :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 530
Ok, what should I do to save the pics where they wont be so big? i have been just saving them with sketchup itself, I tried changing them to JPGs, but they are still too large. someone help please

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
Well, not very large of an image, but I finally did it....yay

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1121
How do u make subwoofers in this program i tried but the surround was a blocky instead of arced

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 861
use the arc tool
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us