SSX 15 a good comp sub?

Silver Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 411
I got two Treo SSX 15s. Should I enter them into competition? Are they good competition subs?

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1197
YES DO IT!

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 666
Depends on the install but with the right enclosure and power you can put up some good numbers with the SSXs .. I'd say go for it and post numbers and pics :-)

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1069
you better and ill be right next to you with my 4 12's that we better do

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1681
well come
next compettion imma hit 150 with a single 15" ssx!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1683
thts all for u desalvo:-)

Silver Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 123
What do you compete in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1684
super street 1/2
or sum other sh!t
btw u talkin to me???
but im hittin 150 for u man

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
What kind of car?

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Who ask if I smoke the funky grass?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5456
you ain't gonna hit sh!t drivingreckless. my sx 18 will walk all over your sub. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 678
lmfao @ chad ... but drivin.. you do know moving 6dB is a very hard task.. your asking your sub to get literally 3x louder than your last number of 144dB

Gold Member

Post Number: 1685
kevin to be 3 times louder i have to gain 30dbs...... to be audibly twice as loud u must gain 10dbs
the only thing im doin is gaining a noticible change.....not twice as loud...and yes i no how farr away i am but i am ready willing and able

desalvo i have a nissan xterra

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
To and 3db you have to double your power or double your cone area. Sometimes even more than that.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 681
.. every 3dB is twice as loud

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 359
It takes twice as much power to Gain 3db. Sorry, no pic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1687
no kevin 3 dbs is not twice as loud
post a thread about it 10 dbs is AUDIBLY twice as loud!!!!!
read up on it ppl only say tht 3 dbs is twice as loud becuz thier is a noticible diff...
ive herd 141 and 144 honestly u can barely tell
but if u hear 141 and 151 ull have twice as loud...ask charlie......
and yes it does take twice the power to add 3dbs
i no tht but tht is not always the case...thier are so many other factors involved..such as tuning of the box strength of the box ect...ive also herd with a very good signal proccesor db's can be gained AKA a equalizer......but it is not always the case

and if every 3 db wuz twice as loud dont u think by 150 ull die???
lol
i find a site

Gold Member

Post Number: 1688
read second paragraph

http://www.soundinstitute.com/article_detail.cfm/ID/95

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 684
Sigh.. who cares about audible difference.. your looking for numbers. You need to gain 6dB.. that means you have to throw 3x the power you have.. how do you expect to hit that 150?

"A 3dB increase is twice as loud, in that increasing the level by +3dB by definition means twice as much audio energy is now being pumped into the room - well, actually 1.995 times as much, thanks to the wonders of logarithms. But the human ear's response is also logarithmic, so twice the energy does not sound like twice the volume.

There is, of course, no clear point where anybody's going to say "ah, that's now precisely double as loud as it was before"; there's no little mental VU meter needle. But the general rule of thumb is that people tend to call a 10X, or 10dB, increase in audio power "twice as loud", if you insist that they indicate such a point, and this is backed up by neurological studies.

Every little 1dB step along the way, though, is noticeable (the general rule of thumb is that people can consciously notice a 1dB volume change, though a somewhat smaller increase in volume commonly causes people in both blind tests and hi-fi stores to think they're now listening to a better system...), and having a whole lot of amplifier watts on call both makes sure that you've got headroom for sudden loud events and enough power to make the subwoofer shake the floor correctly.

For the majority of people's purposes most of the time, though, big amp power is a waste of money."

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 685
and btw.. that 10dB change is going from dB to the bels chart lol.. there is a difference in reading and you can tell the difference in 3dB.. You would notice a difference between 141-144.. it is even in that paragraph you posted. Lol

Silver Member

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 360
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1691
lol
kevin i see u took ur time to write all this so i red it...i agree with im not sayin its ez...u think im thinking 150 is gunna be a sinch...but u cant underestimate me wen i set myself to sumthing i follow thru no matter wut......fist imma build a box...interchangebale ports tuned to 40,45,50,55
imma brace the box with metal dowel rods...resin and make it so air tight tht not even microscopin germs can get out......im expecting the box to give me bout a 2-3 db gain...i no wut ur thinking and yes it all depends...this is wut i expect not wut i know...also the eq i am expecting will help with 1-2 db gains by fine tuning everything possible.....and then i dont care wtf ne one says im jackin the gain up and the bb up...f*ck the sub im hitting 150 with abuse.....and alll u have to take into affect wut odds i am against hitting 150 with one sub isnt exactly ez but with time, percision, effort, and a lil bit of hope i can hit 150 wih no dout in my mind....
just beleive in me man i can do it :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1692
bump

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 5470
poor sub. may it rest in peace.

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 686
I didn't "not believe" in you but I was just saying you'd need to make it 3x as loud lol.. thats a lot of gain. You have to remember all the little things you do that you think you'll gain your not going to see the full gain due to cabin loss. Oh btw.. when you resin a box your note changes. Normally is goes up but with my last box my frequency dropped from 45hz to 42hz. I hope you hit 150.. I've been trying to do it with my SX but I still have a ways to go. Your best bet is to throw it in a sealed box and meter it inside and out to get your resonant frequency and tune to that. As far as running with BB and Gains all the way up? Not good.. Hate to have you clip your sub to death. I run with 0 bass boost for comps. The gain should be set at 3/4 of the h/u because after that it normally distorts.. all you need is a bad signal going to your sub with that much power. Yea.. my h/u puts out 4.4volts at 28 and 9.6volts at 33 but its not wise thing to do to gain match the max volume on my h/u because of the distorted signal.

Silver Member

Pine hill, Nj US

Post Number: 362
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1504
Honestly if said person is only getting a 144db with a 15" SSX then that person should look into his/hers setup because that sub will easily break a 150 especially at 2500rms. Sorry but 144= sumpthin wrong! Just MY opinion...Polo.. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1695
kevin let me please advise u...i no how to set gains and i no all tht b/s ive read bcae1.com
and numerous sites...i no bout decibel gains and losses i no bout flexing and vibrations in a car i no tht adding resin will take up space thus i will take into account the space i use up....i will tune accordingly and yes i no bout resonant frequency also i no ITS NOT EZ...u keep tellin me but its not impossible u act like 150 is an imaginery number u cant hit..it is very possible with the right calculations and ect.....
but from wut u are typin u make it seem tht 150dbs is sumthing i can not hit, the way u type it makes it seem tht i no nothing bout wut i am saying, but kevin realize this:

"whether u think u can or u cant, ur right!"

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1486
for the record +6 dB is 4 times as loud.(twice as much power to get to 147, and then twice that to get to 150 = 4 times the power)

also jumping from 144 to 150 on a TL mic with just changing the box is pretty impressive...do it for some major brownie points.

i dont really agree with polo when he says it will be easy, but it is possible.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2422
"but if u hear 141 and 151 ull have twice as loud...ask charlie...... "

question why did u pick me lol but ya it is just a audible diffrence not really numbers kevin is right about this one. But ya also when u pt all your bass boos in its not a number diffrence one again it is only a audible diffrence it will appear louder but not be so dont do it

Silver Member

Lake Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 687
I did not in any way say 150 was impossible.. but its a hard task.. I'm just gonna not bother conitnue posting in this thread because everything I seem to say gets twisted around. So good luck on your quest to 150.. hopefully you get there without killing your sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1697
i remeber u sayin tht charlie....
u sed it sum where and it stuck with me

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2426
i just meant audible sorry for the misconception man it sounds that much louder but in reality is not

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1487
way to mess everyone up charlie...:-) haha jk man

Bronze Member
Username: Akamigs

Post Number: 75
i believe in u drivingreckless

Gold Member

Post Number: 1698
go to hell migs and suck my pe pe whole

Bronze Member
Username: Akamigs

Post Number: 77
i'll save u a seat. do u hav a pe pe or a whole?

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
drivingreckless

Are you going to add more power or just fine tune the box?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1700
fine tune the boxx

lol migs touch me

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1508
He must not read very well! 150 is very easy to hit, especially with that sub BUT it has to be in the right enclosure with the right amount of power! You will never hit a 150 in that enclosure and I am sorry but that is fact. Not even if you double the power to 5K, the turbulance losses are way too significant to ignore. Just start with a new box, if you want there are a lot of people here to help with the design. Just because you read some sites in fact means nothing, maybe you got the concept but most of the work is trial and error. just be sure to listen to some people who have already been there. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
How many cf. is your box?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1710
4.25 subes

Gold Member

Post Number: 1711
4.25 cubes

Bronze Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 19
I can raise or lower the db by 3 by simply changing the tuning of the enclosure.

There is more to it than "twice the power".

Bronze Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 20
Yes enter...why not? As stated DO IT!!!

The best sub for comps? No. They are inefficient power wh0res.

Badazz daily drivers? In the correct enclosure....dam right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Start at or around 6cf. this is my opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1712
yea...deslavo thier is sumthing called limited space

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
While that's the only way your going to get neer 150. With out adding more power.

Bronze Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 22
7.5 cuft, inverted, for 2 SSX 15's. Not opinion. Been there done that.

4 cu? Sealed maybe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1714
no thier are many other ways to hittin 150
plz have faith and stop questioning me...

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1515
The SSX is not a power hungry wh0re, in fact it is quite efficient. I broke mine in on 1200 rms and it was MUCH louder than my SX on the same amp, power, enclosure and tune. I have seen a 15" type R hit 150+ in a trunked vehicle ( later on almost a 151), sorry this sub is much better than any Alpine sh!t. I have faith in him, but I will do it first, lol. He just needs to dump that box, save the ports though! Polo.. :-O

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
How did you do that is it because they are 2500RMS?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5906
wow......this thread is turning ghey quick. lol

driving, you need a bigger box...or oyu need to change the design. its that simple.

the box has 98% to do with it next to power and vehicle.:-)

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1516
"How did you do that is it because they are 2500RMS?"

Don't know what ya mean but I broke my SSX in on 1200 rms to loosen the spiders up a bit it just happened to be louder than my SX. I have ran my SX on more than 2500+rms but the SSX still hits quite a bit harder. Polo..

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Polo

My bad I thought you said you broke the woofer.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1517
I did, it let loose on 2500 for no reason. Coil went out of allignment and was rubbing the pole. Polo..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us