Best SPL sub with a little SQ for $400

Silver Member
Username: Sx3

Rockford, Illinois USA

Post Number: 305
Hey my friend is looking for a new system and i'm gonna build him a box and hook it all up. Whats the best SPL sub he can get for arround $400 give or take.

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 350
the new cerwin vega strokers off of woofersetc,com

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8496
solo x...on ebay i think is around that much????

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4338
ebay is God.....prob gonna catch some slack for that at the pearly gates. hehe

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 163
Massive Audio Dmx 12. $450 shipped and will hit hard as hell. Many people over on termpro use them, and they are said to have right around the same amount of output as a Re MT of the same size. That just gives you an idea of how loud they will get.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1588
atomic apx the apxx its 360 plus shippin for the 15 and wil kill all of those woofer all of these people mentioned

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 165
What have people been hitting with those? I am just curious.

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1589
hahahah mybrother a single apxx can get u in the mid 150's easily in the right install

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1369
i dont think single sub, easy, and mid 150s should be in the same sentence...

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 168
HAHA, yeah they usually don't go together.

I know people have hit in the mid 150's with the Dmx subs before. So I don't know if the Apxx would walk all over it. They are both probably very capable SPL drivers, but still mid 150's isn't an easy task for anyone to do. Even with great equipment.

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1592
my brother my friend from the shop that i work for he got a single dmx 15 inch in a 6.5 cb ft and hes is pulling around 155.6 with i think he got 3000 rms to it and my cousin has a single 15 inch apx hes hittin 157 with 3000rms (two orions 2500d strapped)

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1593
i mean 5000 watts

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1594
plus my cousin have his set up for daily drivin his box is tuned at 32hz and the dmx its tuned around 43hz

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1595
my brotehr dont mess with atomic

http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/Atomic/apocalypsex18.1.wmv

a single 18 apx not the apxx and have around 25,000 watts rms and it didnt broke a sweat.

http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/Atomic/apx18.1.wmv

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 170
Well if the guy is looking for the best SPL sub for $400, chances are he isn't going to have the money to give that sub enough power to get full output. Most people don't spend $400 on a sub, then spend $1000's on amps to power the sub.

Silver Member

Rockford, Illinois USA

Post Number: 306
yeah this guy's only working with about 1000 watts right now lol. He's gonna get a different amp later but who knows when thats gonna be. any ideas for anyhting else he could use?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1601
my brother atomic are one of the most efficient woofers on th emarket, u can get real good results with only 1000 rms it can take up to 20,000rms i seen it

oh did u saw the 18 inch in wall aoutle??

ok multiply 220voltsx92 amps????=how many watts rms

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 177
Yeah, I sawed it.

Bronze Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 63
Hey Showrides since you spoke of them... do you know of any single amp that could power 2 Massive Audio DMX 15's ?I was thinking of a SS XXX6500-D but I just recently heard they are of poor quality.lilrob so by you saying those subs can handle 20k RMS does that mean anything besides durability? I would imagine those subs starting to sound like crap after a certain amount of power goes through them or do you get an insane amount of db?

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 178
Well as far as an amp goes. You are going to want something that puts out around 5000rms. The soundstream 6500d will put out plenty of power, and many of the times they are amazing amps. I know a couple people who had problems with them, but after talking to soundstream, they said they fixed all the problems with them. And since they I haven't noticed them breaking. So it would be an option if you decided to get 2 of the dmx subs.

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1602
well im gonna be honest my brotehr i dont like dmx they sq is just like audiobahns but with much more spl, u can get the regular apocalypsis and it will get loud as the dmx but wiht more sq, i dont know if is still there but in ebay theres was a regular apocalypsis with the paperwork that the dude wwas hittin 147 with a regular apocalypsis and with 1k rms

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 181
Is that post a joke haha?

Are you stoned?

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1609
my brother the dmx has ok sq but its not that great it gets loud as fak but its not too impressive but if ur going with the dmx good luck, and if u like spl go for it if u like sq go with something else

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1612
well a single 12 apx can take out that 18 inch solo x in the right install

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 183
Your brother the DMX? Learn to use some punctuation. It is hard to understand what you are trying to say, and even when I do uderstand it, it makes no sense.

Have you ever seen any of the drivers we have mentioned? And if so what type of enclosures were they in, and how much power were they gettting?

Also, when did a 12" apx take out a 18" solo x? Are you just making all this up?

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1489
how many F*CKIN vrothers u got it gets irrating readin my brother over and over again
i no ur mexican and ur parents have bunch of lil
kids but were not ur brothers!!!!!!!
did he hit 150 on a tl????

Gold Member

Post Number: 1490
brothers* irritating*

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 185
Drivingreckless....you just made my night haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1491
>:[ :-O

Bronze Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 64
Yea...I do agree his typing and spelling are just terrible.But oh well,maybe he should try spending time learning how to read/write/type and lay off the car audio world for a little bit.No offense lilrob.Just some advice.

Bronze Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 65
Hey Showrides...hope you don't mind me asking but what is your real name?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4344
i am having a hard time grasping that a sub that handles 20,000wRMS will get loud with only 1,000wRMS.

what kind of power compression are we dealing with here???????

if it gets loud with 1,000wRMS....then 20x that should blow the VC right through the cone. otherwise....that sub has a VERY INEFFICIENT MOTOR. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4345
or a VERY low BL force.:-)

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 189
My name is Andy

Bronze Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 71
Oh I see...I thought it you were Ben from Low-hz or something the way you push the SI MAGS. :-)And I never spoke to him so I don't know his username.

Silver Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 197
Acutally, it is really funny you say that.

Ben, "The owner of Low-Hz.com actually made this account on ecoustics"

But now his company has switched over to more of a rep system, instead of him personally going around telling people about his subs/amps. I am actually a rep for Low-hz.com, and a few other companies as well. And being a rep for not only Low-hz, but SI as well, I know a thing or two about the mags. And would recommend them to anyone who is interested in since I do they think are the best SQL driver available to date.

Username: Mendonmafia

Mendon, Ny Usa

Post Number: 8
whats the point of having a system that plays louder than 120 db cuz if you listen to it for more than a half hour at 120 u wont b able to hear anymore haha. and the human threshold for pain is about 110 db so i dont get it.

Bronze Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 98
I thought the threshold for pain was 130DB?I could be wrong on this,correct me if so.Besides there is lots of points to having a system that plays louder than 120db.After listening to sounds at 120 you could be partially deaf and need sound at a higher DB to hear it or you could be a competitor in SPL.Last thing I can think of is the feeling you get from the pressure achieved at higher decibles,although I think you can produce the pressure levels for shaking things without the db.But in my experience high db comes with high pressure as a side effect :-).Correct me if I'm wrong,please.

Silver Member
Username: Yamahabanshee1

Paulding, Ohio USA

Post Number: 375
shane id say look into the Memphis Mojo 15"

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2745
well a single 12 apx can take out that 18 inch solo x in the right install

doubt that very seriously..
i went to a local comp...
18 inch solo X hit like 160 sum dB's on new termlab with 20k watts. so i dout it

Silver Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 155
At first, I didn't understand it either. Why listen to music so loud it hurts? Well, think of it this way. There are alot of people out there who drive cars and ride bikes that go in excess of 180mph. They don't go EVERYWHERE at 180, just when it's fun/possible. To create a setup capable of dbs that are harmful, allows the user to experience music from the setup at much lower and safer dbs with increased impact. To go flat out on anything long enough is just destructive, and stupid. My exwife used to scold me for chirping the wheels on my 88' Iroc. I'd look at her and say "It's got a 350, every once in awhile, I use it!"

Bronze Member
Username: Mendonmafia

Mendon, Ny Usa

Post Number: 11
True. but still why more than 140 then i mean thats just stupid. my ex girl friends dad is a doctor and he claims that 140 bd can make anyone go def in under 3 minutes exposure! you can get the same feeling by installing aura bass shakers it might not be as much but in sure it will do justice paired with a decent sub.

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 486
Higher pitched sounds have a diff. effect than low bass sounds, they'll ruin your hearing faster. So yes with high pitched NOISE 110-120 does start to hurt ur hearing, but lower BASS will not have the same affect. Im not saying it doesnt hurt ur hearing, but most doctors make that claim based on higher pitched noise.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 487
Oh yea, and as for a sub, y not try a DD 3515, its a great SQL sub, muddy can tell you about em more than me, but i think itll b right at 400 prolly. It will get really loud tho, depending on the install i bet you can get into tha 140s. Muddy said hes in the mid 130s with 1 3510.

Silver Member

Kentucky

Post Number: 492
oops my bad, muddy has teh 2510, so u should be happy with the 3515 or 12.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4481
i am guessing when i make that claim.
i have had people that go to comps every other weekend tell me that....so it has some substance behind it. lol(my disclaimer) haha

Gold Member

Post Number: 4482
in all honesty though.
i can't think of a louder sub for $400 than a 3500 series with about 1.5-2kw on it:-)

Silver Member

Rockford, Illinois USA

Post Number: 328
whats the pices on the different sizes in the 3500 series?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4489
in the mid 300 range up to 400ish for the 15"

i am not sure on exact prices.

Bronze Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio

Post Number: 86
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i want my stroker metered lol in the sealed box lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »