OT: Car neon lighting...Help!

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1653
I bought a couple 12" black Neon tubes. I want to install them under my front seats...That's not the issue.

What I want to know, is will it be ok to crimp their power wires inside the crimp for my HU's power wire, and same thing with their ground wire? If not, where else could I EASILY run those wires?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3635
How much current do they draw?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1654
12V I think, not much is listed about it to be honest...It says you can wire them into any 12V power source...And my HU has a 20 or 30A fuse in it (because at one time I thought the fuse had blown so...yea...). So if that's the problem, wouldn't 20A be plenty?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1655
Bump!

I checked everywhere on the package, and there isn't a current draw (other than 12V) on it...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5604
Run a separate power wire from the battery, can be 8 - 12 gauge wire. Install 12v relay and use the power from your accessories plug as the remote trigger. Now you can power your neons, as well as other devices without blowing the fuse on your HU.
If you're going to do something, do it properly from the start.

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1656
...I see...What bad could happen if I did it the way I was going to though? I have no idea what an accessories plug is...

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 486
yeah the easyest way is to probly run a little 8 guage so if you want more ugrades it will be easy, or you could just find a 12 volt supply in your car like another light put a relay there and run it from that

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5606
If you smoke then you should know what "accessories" plug is. It's located near your dashboard, it's round and gives you 12v. That is probably the easiest solution for you.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 814
will a cig lighter work when the cars off? if it does then wouldnt that be just as effective as running a wire from your amp to a switch?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3639
Yep, cig lighters supply constant power-and that would be the best way to do it. Using your amps power and ground wires wouldn't be a bad way either.

Also, be careful with using a bigger fuse than the wiring is rated for...putting a 20 or 30A fuse on wire that is designated only to handle 15A could have horrible consequences...

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 820
not horrible, fires clense the earth, haha, yeah, i could teach you how to ghetto rig a fus too if you want

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 821
not horrible, fires clense the earth, haha, yeah, i could teach you how to ghetto rig a fus too if you want or the switch might have a fuse already idk
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us