Amplifier kicing on then off then on.....

Bronze Member
Username: Matt_stu

Post Number: 40
alright i installed 2 10' neon lights inside my speaker box and crimped them in with the female speaker connectors that my sub is hooked up to. this is hooked up to the terminal cup and then 1 big speaker wire leads to the amp. now the problem is my amp keeps going into protect mode every other beat it will be on for a second then go into protect mode. im wondering if it is because the lights are drawing to much amps from there or because i have it hooked directly in line with the speaker wire. if i had the lights hooked up to the amp through their own wires and the speaker wires hooked into the amp seperatly to. would this cause the amps protection mode to stop kicking on. or should i switch to smaller lights. thank you for any help

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1647
Ok...Those lights run on electrical current, not a signal current like you get in RCA/speaker wires...

You're giving the amp some crazy unknown (and obviously out of range) impedance, and it doesn't know what to do with it!

Hook those lights up to a 12V power source in your car...Usually denoted with a red wire...

Bronze Member
Username: Matt_stu

Post Number: 41
alright so all i need to do is hook it up to a 12v power source like the one that runs to my amp. would it be possible to run the lights wires to the distribution block that the 4 gauge wire runs to then splits to the 8 gauge that runs to the amp. there is room for another amp on that block but i dont have another one hooked up. could it be possible to put the lights wires were the second amp power wire is supposed to go? since its a 12v power coming from there

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1648
USUALLY, they suggest in the instructions of your lighting system, as to where it is best to hook up the lights. Check the instructions out.

The LED's I used to have could be hooked up to the headlights.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us