Kicker sub memphis amp

Silver Member
Username: Big_fletch

Newport, Ar, Ar United states

Post Number: 238
i have a 2006 kicker solobaric 15 L7 dual dvc 2 ohm sub and its powered by a memphis 1100 class d amp and im gettin a kicker kx 1200 amp off ebay for 350$ and im gonna get another 15 L7 and power the kx amp with the 15 now do i need to get a 2 ohm sub or 4 ohm? my ohter 15 L& is a 2 ohm and im gonna use both subs and both amps the system will be in my 2002 caddilac escalade will this setup sound good or weird since i have diffrent amps i think it would sound good if i got the subs hittin about the same by ajusstin the level on the amps would this work or not and would it sound good thanks

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2646
if your gettin the kx1200.1, you need to get the DVC 2 ohm sub. i really dont like the idea of mathcin amps together though. diff power to diff subs = bad sound or uneven.

if i were you i would just get 2 memphis amps, and ur set.

wut ever happened to ur memphis amp?? did u send it bak or what wuz wrong

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
hey bassman nice to hear from ya where u been man...i called dude thursday and he said ihe get it in this mornin and they just sent me a brand new one and i juss ordered a kx 1200 amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
i left u a thread tellin u i got it in thursday its labled "memphis"

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2651
i've been around. i've been workin hella so i havent been on much.

so they just sent you a new memphis amp? -- why didnt you just buy another memphis amp??

by the way, i hope this one works, lol. because there is no way the PA one would out do it, when the pA amp only could do 800 watts not considering its overrated

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
lol yea i know i hope it works to.....i just bought that kx cuz ive been lookin for one for so long and i got one for 300$ listin to this this guy told me when he bridge my PA amp that the amp is doin 1600 watts RMS LOL i just looked at him like what the heck but i told him its really doin like 750 and he said no 1600 rms and he said that pa amp would be alot louder than my memphis 1100 not to metion that i got my memphis somewhere else lol.....where u work at man

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
also im still blowin fuses i cant even turn that PA amp up half way without my 100 blowin in the fuse holder it gets warm but not so hot u cant touch it but still i dunno why im blowin them fuses ground clamped awesome lol and i dunno what it could be my hot wire dont have a cut in it or nothin but i ordered a big fuse holder u think that might make it stop blowing?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2656
dont worry bout it man. PA sucks, and that guy at the shop obviously didnt look at the SPEC sheet for that amp. It says 1600 watt max PA amp, lol. you dont look at max, you look at rms rating and obviously that guy didnt know what his was talkin about. He also obviously didnt know i single thing about memphis amp or prolly has never even heard of them.

i work at a machine shop wit my dad by the way

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
i hooked up the memphis to the sub it sounds juss as loud as the PA amp but it sounds more clear and nicer but i dunno why its not hittin harder than the pa amp i got the level all the way up and everything any tips on how to make it louder?

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
i hooked up the memphis to the sub it sounds juss as loud as the PA amp but it sounds more clear and nicer but i dunno why its not hittin harder than the pa amp i got the level all the way up and everything any tips on how to make it louder? the pa amp is really a little louder thna the memphis to tell u the truth

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2676
i dont think you have it wired correctly. it does NOT make any sense at all. i'm completely stumpted. wut specs does it say for ur PA amp manual? IN the PA manual, what does it say the specs are, post em' here

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
the same as u say bridge 740 watts mox rms...i dont get it either cuz that memphis should be smokin the pa amp but it really not i have a factory radio and the guy said somethin about not ahvin a rca jack and thats why its not that loud but i dunno what u think

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
i have the sub wired to be at 1 ohm i dunno what the deal is...o and another thing is when this guy was hookin it up i didnt even have the radio on and my sub started movin makin a bad sound like a static sound in it and the amp was on but i dissconnected the amp from the sub and the sub keep doin it movin in and out bein all static

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
my amp just stop workin i was givin it all its got in it for aobut 30 min and all sudden no bass first my amp protection light comes on then it goes off then no bass for next 3 hours what happend u think blow the amp fuse?

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
nvm that last message amp not screwed up just a stupid fuse !

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2679
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH omg, what a nightmair!!

u need to take the amp in, (when you say you wired to 1 ohm) and take it to a shop to see how much power it is puttin out @ 1 ohm when its runnin. that way, if it says something like 500 watts, you know that you have it wired wrong.

i think your doin somthin wrong with the wiring.

did u hook the amp up urself? -- chaeck the fuses and see if they are blown.

go to http://www.j.designs.info/phpBB2/

^ no dot there

register and ask the question there in the sub section. tell them ur whole case and ask what you can do. tell them bout the PA and everything. You need some other opinions besides mine.

i would go to www.the12volt.com -- look at the wiring and MAKE SURE you have it wired to 1 ohm

i would def, make a thread in that site i gave you. def.

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
i got it bumpin hard i think i blowed the sub cuz i was pullin out of wal mart and the sub just started soundin like crap but it still works just sounds like crap an theres a weird smell comin out of the port what could be wrong with it?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2683
post in the j designs forum. i thought you said you were givin it hard stuff and then your amp went into protection?? -- that amp SHOULD NOT EVER be going into protection because its suc a good aMP.

wuz the sub bumpin harder than it used to with ur PA amp?

it shouldnt be blown because you said it stil works. you might have blown a VC or sumthin, check the sub and the speaker wires...

like i said, i have given you all the advice i can, so you need someone else's opinion. go create a thread on that site and alot of other smart people will help you :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
yea the sub is bumpin alot harder than that pa amp was and sounds alot better and cleary but the sub just started sounded like crap started makin a statis noise and i weird smell came out of the port of the box and i dunno what happend my sub still works cuz it moves but it sounds like crap could it be the box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
???????

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2684
sounds like ur sub. check the sub to see if its damaged...

why did the sub suddenly sound better?? -- u said that the PA amp made it sound the same as the memphis amp, and then the next day you said the memphis amp is makin it bump alot harder..??? what did u change?

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
nothin at all i dont know but i was ridin around and the next thing i know it started hittin a lil harder than 5 min later it started hittin hard! i hope my sub isnt hurt them solo 15 L7 cost like 400

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
nothin at all i dont know but i was ridin around and the next thing i know it started hittin a lil harder than 5 min later it started hittin hard! i hope my sub isnt hurt them solo 15 L7 cost like 400 my sub still works but it sounds like sh!t it sounds like it might be the box could it be the box?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2692
yea. hmm, how is your gain or "level" set on ur amp??

make sure its not past 1/2 (depends on ur HU)

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
i got the amp all the up on everything

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2693
DO NOT HAVE IT LIKE THAT, THATS WHY UR BLOWIN FUSES UR IDIOT. YOUR GAIN SHOULD BE SET TO UR hu'S OUTPUT VOLTAGE, UR SUBSONIC SHOUDL BE SET TO WHAT UR BOX IS TUNED TO AND UR lpf SHOULD BE SET TO ~AROUND~ 80 HZ. What kinf of HU you got? link?

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
they are on ebay and the are just the regular ported ones the box has a port on the left side all the way down the box

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2699
ok... that wuznt my question:

wut ur HU (cd player) : link?

Wuts the port tuned to, on ur box? -- they should say on the ebay site

and again, wut CD player you got?

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
just factory escalade 2002

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1382
"by the way, i hope this one works, lol. because there is no way the PA one would out do it, when the pA amp only could do 800 watts not considering its overrated"

i was starting to believe that lol!

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
i got factory 2002 caddilac escalade radio

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2722
well, find out the pre-out voltage of the radio. it should say in the manual etc. or jus call the dealer

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
ok i will.....does that have a deal with it not bein loud or does it make a big difference

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2727
it is an important factor when you setting your gain on the amp. the higher the gain is past the rec. the more chance of clippin the sub (damaging it) -- which you might have been doin--- or screwin up ur amp big time, aka blowin fuses like you were.

before you do anymore driving, set the gain halfway jus to be safe, please

then find out the pro-out voltage of ur HU

Gold Member

Post Number: 1420
yeah

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
i cant find the preout voltage on my factory radio no where in my ownders manual book no where at all i searched google and cant find it it should be just like a yukon or a tahoes preout voltage if u know what theres is

Gold Member

Post Number: 1448
set it to the half

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
set what to the half?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2747
it would really help if you coul find it though. call the dealer ship and they would know. juliob meant, set ur gain to half. you can do that for right now, just set the gain right in the middle (halfway)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1463
yes, is safer than putting at 3/4 or more without knowing the preamp voltage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
what does the preamp voltage haft to do with any of this ?

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2773
BECAUSE THATS WUT YOU HAVE TO SET YOUR GAIN TOO. the gain is THE most important control on the amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us