How to test sub to see if its blown or not

Silver Member
Username: Dub_c

Post Number: 107
I just came back from vacation, I left the system in but not connected, I reconnected it back up and now the sub does not do anything, I connected another sub and it worked. I WAS WONDERING, how do you test a sub to see if its blown or not? I remember this one time I went to an audio store with a friends to test his sub, they tested it with a 9 volt battery I think. HOW DO YOU TEST IT?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3556
I'd just hook it up to a home audio receiver and see how it sounds if you want a really easy way to do it. Make sure the wiring inside the box didn't get knocked loose or something like that-it sounds like a wiring problem-especially if the sub was fine before it was disconnected.

The battery trick is a polarity thing and isn't all that useful anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 785
well, yah, the battery thing only works if it is completely blown, like, when i blew my audiobahns only one VC was gone so they still clicked

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
How do you do the battery thing? ALSO is it POSSIBLE,,, all I did was disconnect the REM wire, is it possible that power from the battery could still go to the amp and fried the VC's? or something like that???

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3583
Nope, none of that is possible. Best thing to do is check the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2647
hmm. i dont know why ur sub would all of a sudden stop working. expecially if you weren't using it at all. if it was working fine before you left, and all you did was disconnect the wires, your sub wont be blown because you havent done anything to it.

i would check do the batt thing anyway

i beeive you connect the + terminal on the sub wires, and connect it to the + termianl on the batt

then do the same with the - side... neg terminal to neg batt terminal, it should make a popping sound.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

United States

Post Number: 105
Use a multimeter and make sure your sub is reading around it's specified load ( around 4 ohm for svc 4 ohm is my example )

Then, while your car is running and your deck is on, but the volume is turned OFF, check to make sure your amp is getting at least 12.0volts. Then make sure your REM wire reads something, anything is fine as long as it's at least .25 amps on the multimeter.
If all of this is fine, open your sub box and make sure a wire didn't come disconnected inside of the box.

Don't hook your subs to a battery.. why take the risk? Just invest in a wise investment and get a multimeter, if you don't already have one.

Good luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
FIXED, that was wired, none of the wires were loose or disconnected. All I did was just disconnected and reconnected everything on the sub, hooked it right up and its all good now, thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 800
haha good job, thats funny

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1638
Best way to test, is to hook it up to a 250V wall socket...

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1640
When it stops making noise, you know it's good to go!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us