Post Number: 226
It is louder.

It has to do with physics...
Someone on here will give you the scientific explanation if you want it :P

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 967
do u mean its louder inside the car with the trunk open?

Bronze Member
Username: Proks

Post Number: 71
ya, seems like its alot louder

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1608
Whoa...I saw my name and was like WHAT? But Tyler is right (that is odd saying that lol). It is as if the trunk or open windows create a secondary port, which adds the effects as if the car was the port.

It is physics though. The thing is, as far as what the open trunk or windows are tuned to, well it is unknown, so from the outside a certain frequency may prevail over others to an audience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
ok, i get that...but with my other deck... my sub was louder... with my 90 olds, trunk closed, my sub was louder then it is now trunk open and or closed... does that "magna bass" button on my old deck make that much of a difference... (and i had to shorten my box a bit)

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 970
if your subs are pointing towards the back of your car, when you open your trunk it normally shouldnt be louder inside the car, because all the sound is escaping.

if your subs are pointing to inside the car, it would seem to make more sense

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
sub is pointing the same direction, i only switched decks, and it seems half as loud... im about rdy to kill myself:< lol

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 972
what do u mean it is pointing the same direction?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
ok, i switched cars, and switched decks... why is my sub so much quiter now, is it just that this deck is shittier???

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 976
is has a lot to do with the vehicles. just cause the deck isnt as good, doesnt mean ur sub will be quieter. when u switched decks, you changed the gain didnt you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
iv been messing around to try and find the "right setting"... would cutting about 2inch of length off the box do somthign as well...??

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 780
what r u talking about, is your car bigger than your last one? the deck wont make ahuge differance in SPL, also cars have differant resonant frequencys so maybe your other car had a good frequency

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 4062
the sub shouldn't seem louder with the trunk open, ESPECIALLY if it fires out of the trunk.

it WILL seem louder with the windows open and the trunk closed. b/c the sub in essense has more AIR to play in....thus...decreasing the air pressure in the trunk(if you have a fold-down seat)

maybe the newer HU has a diff. line Voltage?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
in my car my seats fold down, and ya the interior is bigger to my knowladge, my sub is facing into the car, not out of... it just doesnt seam to be as boomy as before, i can hear a diffewrence.... do you know if camrys have shitty frequancies.... and would box size make a big difference?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4064
if your sub is firing into the cabin....then your trunk lid acts just like an open window.:-)

depends on how much smaller you went on box size.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 981
thanks muddy thats what i was trying to say up there^^^^

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
oh ya... my clarion deck used a 15Amp Fuse, the sony uses only a .3 Amp... so that( head unit), the smaller box, and posibly the resinating frequency of the car all makes it quiter?

PS thanks for the help

Gold Member

Post Number: 4073
like i said earlier...maybe the pre-out Voltage of your newer HU is diff.

try adjusting the gains on your amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
whats the pre out voltage... im really sorry im "mentaly handicaped" when it comes to this, but we all gotta start somewhere

Gold Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 1013
the pre out voltage is how much ur HU can put out to your amp of current. if your gain is set wrong with ur HU, i believe your subs will start getting the wrong kind of current (DC) and clip them. which can harm them a lot.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4077
the pre-out Voltage is how much voltage your HU sends through the RCA's to the amp's RCA input.

you need to match the HU's pre-out voltage witht he gain on your amp.

otherwise...the amp will not have the right voltage to work with....thus underpowering your subs....or overpowering your subs by setting the gain too high....so it accomodates for a weaker signal(which isn't really weak, you just set it too low) and it will try to make more power than the amp is capable of.
thus clipping the top of the sine wave to the sub(making it a square wave...aka "clipped signal" and the amp sends it as DC instead of AC and the Voice coils burn up on your sub from not being able to dissipate the DC heat properly.:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
where do i find out what the pre out volatge is... what spec sheet???

Gold Member

Post Number: 4079
google it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
# Preout Impedance -- 220 ohms
# Preout Voltage -- 2 Volts
# Frequency Response -- 10 - 20kHz

so i need to but my gain to 2hz? or what

Gold Member

Post Number: 4081
i would do a little inder 2V....and don't turn the volume on the HU all the way up....the little MOSFETS inside the HU will clip the signal to the amp before the signal can even go through the amp to the sub.

set your HU's volume at about 3/4th of full and set the gains then...

best way is with a multimeter, but if oyu don't have one...then just tirn it up until oyu hear distortion and then tunr it down a little.:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
on my amp, my gains are for bass but in the manual there in hz... im confused on how much to turn it up and whatnot

Gold Member

Post Number: 4083
you sure that is not your LPF or perhaps your subsonic filter....

all gains i have ever seen are in V. lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us