Eclipse subs.... help!?

Bronze Member
Username: Makmillion

United States

Post Number: 94
Okay, so now I want to hook up my eclipses to my hifonics amp.. this is my problem, maybe an eclipse guy could help me out?

The DCR is 3.1ohms per coil per speaker, the speakers are single voice coils. they say they're 4 ohms, 88150.4, but the dcr is 3.1 ohms.

If it's 3.1 ohms, then together they would pull a 1.7 ohm load from my amp, right? or is DCR something different.. this is baffling me because I never mess with Eclipse, at least not until now.
This is important because they require 500 each to work properly and my amp will provide that at 1 ohm, but not at 2 or 4..
Someone help?

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 224
2 SCV 4 ohm subs can't make a 1 ohm load anyways... I'd say thats the closest your gonna get to 1 ohm

Assuming you have 2?

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 966
your not going to get to 1 ohm no matter what.

either youll get to 2 ohms (svc 4) or get to 1.7 ohms (svc 3.1)

lol theres 2 tylers. i keep getting mixzed up!!!

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 96
I know that most amps will read 1-1.9 as a 1 ohm load and put out the correct power. That's why I'm asking if my subs are 3.1 or 4 ohms. the model number says 4 but every spec I find says 3.1. There is no marking(s) on the subs to indicate what they are for fact.. I guess if I get nothing here I'll go buy a multimeter :\

Also, i know you can't get a 1 ohm load from 2 svc 4 ohm subs... my question is are my subs 3.1 ohms or 4 ohms..

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 971
im pretty sure those subs are just svc 4 ohms. i saw dcr on some sights that said 3.1, but they are still svc 4ohms subs. ur gunna need a new amp, or some new subs

Bronze Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 25
I just asked a question on this. I got the SW9102 and the DC resistance is 3.1Ohms per coil so when hooked up it should show a 1.5ish resistance. However i was enlightened by some people on this board that the DC resistance has really nothing to do with it as the sub dosent run on DC its a form of AC and the AC resistance is the correct 4Ohms per coil.

I just had a 2 hour drive in my car with that sub connected to an amp that would not support anything under 2 Ohms and it played like a champ with no problems at all.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 102
Thanks for the info!

I'm curious why they would rate the DC resistance and not AC resistance in the specs for these subs.. weird, eh?

I'm going to try hooking a set of 4 ohm resistors in line and see how long that'll last.. I'll keep everyone posted, however, I'm sure it won't last long with 69.x amps running through it.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 109
Cut out my box for 2- 88150.4 subs, 2cf per chamber sealed, box made from 1 1/4" MDF.

They are pulling a 1.5xx ohm load from the amp, which is close to my 1.7ohm guesstimate.

They hit ((((HARD))))!!!

Didn't try the resistors, but don't feel like I need to anymore.

Anyways, just updating!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us