JL 12w6v2 questions and whatnot

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3459
I've overhauled quite a bit of the weak links of my system lately and I'm pretty much finished except for the sub. I have a 12" JLw3v1. It sounds good, but the 350w RMS (probably more) from my PPI PC2350 is too much for it. I'll be using the same 350w from the amp for the new sub, whatever it may be...

The JLw6v2 seems perfect because:
1. Its power ratings match the amp well (400w RMS @4ohms)

2. It will fit in a small sealed enclousure. (I want to keep it under 1.5 cubic feet).

3. It's a fairly decent price. I plan to buy it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-Audio-12W6v2-12-Subwoofer-12W6-W6v2-NEW-06-RELEASE_W0QQit emZ290009114158QQihZ019QQcategoryZ39776QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't care if the serial number is ripped or anything like that, just as long as the sub works to spec and doesn't get damaged in shipping.

I'm looking for pure SQ, SPL is nice, but it all comes down to SQ :-)

I've looked at other brands like Sound Splinter, Image Dynamics, Crystal, and RE. Equivalent subs of the afforementioned brands require more power, enclosure space, or just aren't the same quality as the JL w6v2. However, the Treo 12" TSX seems to be a good alternative, but I can't find enough info to really determine how good or bad it would be in comparison to the JL.

Anybody have any better suggestions or even a JL w6v2 for sale? :-)

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1073
why don't you try a 13w3v3 instead. Will cost a heck of a lot less and still get good results, probably two of those will be i'd say about 100$ less than the W6. I would rather take say a RL-p or SI Mag 12 or the W6 anyday even though I do like the W6.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8131
in ur power range..and what u want (sq) there is no better sub then that...period....

subs that would be close are the SS rlp, crystal cmp, treo ssi, and the idmax....

but i doubt u will like any of those as much as the JL.....good luck...

Bronze Member
Username: Mhrx

Hayden, ID USA

Post Number: 16
I'm in the same boat...and I think I'm also going to go with the W6. What kind of enclosure are you looking to get for it?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3483
Sealed 1.5 cubic feet. I found some interesting alternatives:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=1448059.7206&pid=1788

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-464

A friend claims they'll have better SQ than the JL, and I actually have to agree with him. A lot of heat is produced with JL's massive motor design, and the above subs keep it simple. They're cheap because Peerless and Dayton make OEM subs and don't need to spend millions of dollars on advertising or even putting up a website.

However, I'm still leaning towards the JL w6v2.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2030
the w6v2 is the perfect sub for your needs, the only sub i could think of that would be better would be a AA atlas, the only sub imo that has better sq than the w6v2, and its svc4ohm, 350wrms power handling, and would work well in a 1.5cf box, it just might be kinda hard to find one.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3485
Does the AA Atlas come in 12"?

Gold Member

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2031
yep

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3486
Where do they sell them?

Gold Member

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2032
well since AA doesn't make them anymore, you'll have to search ebay and other forums to find some for sale. i did a quick google search and found 2 forums where ppl had some for sale but the threads were about 4mons old so i don't know if they still have them or not.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1081
the SI Mag has better SQ than the AA, and better low end.

Gold Member

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2034
but isn't the rms like 900 on the mag.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us