ONLY for the EXPERIENCED...if you dont know dont post

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1392
(sorry if it seems that i am being an A@@hole)

i was at a new audio shop today, and the guy wanted to know my future plans. i told him that i used to want to run a type x on a directed d2400 (1200 @1 ohm) but then i said nevermind bc the x only come in dual 4 ohms.

now heres the weird part.

he said that the type x would work bc mono (1 channel) amps cut the load that you present them with in half. he said that i could wire the x to 2 ohms, and then the amp would see it as one ohm.

he also said that if i were to wire a dual 2 ohm to 1 ohm, the amp would see it as half an ohm and probably fry.

i really think he has it messed up.

now my question is this...

if i have a 1200 watt mono amp, that is one ohm stable, and i want to run 1 sub on it. do i need a dual 4 ohm sub, or a dual 2 ohm sub.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3961
he is HIGH

an amp can't magically change the ohm load. that is the VC's job to do when it is wired in series or parallel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1393
so.....

when i get a dual 2 ohm sub... wire it to 1 ohm, hook it up to my one ohm stable mono amp...my amp sees one ohm, and not a half an ohm, and it will be fine??

i told him that i think he had it wrong....but he didnt believe

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8541
personally i would get a sub/s that is = to what ohm load the amp's manufacturer recommends .

Ppl tend 2 do all kinda crazy crap like put a 1 ohm load on 2 ohm ONLY stable amp , it may or may not work but from what i read (on www.bcae1.com) it will shorten the life span of the amp ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1394
yea rovin..... i dont plan on doing something that the amp company does not suggest

i want my subs wqired to 1 ohm

but the guy told me that when u wire subs to a mono amp, the amp cuts the load in half, so..... i was just making sure he was wrong

Gold Member

Post Number: 3962
he prob hooked up a 1 ohm load to a 2 ohm stable mono-channel amp and fried his amp, and didn't understand why it fried it.

so he came up with that wacky-a** story to make himself feel better. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3963
if that is true:
then my DLS A6 should be seeing one ohm right now....and my DD 2510 would be smoking....lol

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 688
that cutting the load crap IS A LOAD, and yes, you would want a dvc 2 ohm to get 1 ohm

Gold Member

Post Number: 3964
well....not really...it's a DD.:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1395
also.... i think hes thinking of the mono amps that have 4 terminals, bc they are internaly bridged, and in THAT case it seems to cut the load in half, that is if you use EACH of the 4 terminals

so for a final answer...

mono amps DO NOT cut loads in half. they see the load that the subs are wired to.

correct?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1396
not internaly bridged.....

i mean the two +'s go together as 1
the twp -'s go together as one

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8542
"mono amps DO NOT cut loads in half. they see the load that the subs are wired to.

correct?"

Yep !

there r alot of ppl out there doing car audio & installs 4 ppl & they dont know some of the basic shiznit like ohms / tuning / filters / amp settings etc .......

Gold Member

Post Number: 1397
that kind of scares me.

i said are you 100 percent sure about that?

he said "man, ive been doin this for 14 years, im 200 percent sure"

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 697
well, go sh1t on his car, he was wrong, that or write the http adress to this thread on his car with sh1t, either one you decide, he was still wrong

Gold Member

Post Number: 1398
hahahha

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1125
Unless he was just hung over or something and what he meant was when you run a 2-channel amp in mono mode (bridged) then it would see half the load. In any case he should be more careful than that because car audio is already tainted with morons that spread stupid shit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1400
i kind of want to show him this thread

Gold Member

Post Number: 3973
a mono amp is ONE CHANNEL

there is no bridging. lol

the dual inputs for + and - are for convenience so you don't have to cram them into one input.

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 286
you could have that type X in 2 ohms on that mono stable dont always have to match the ohms as long as it dosnt go below 2 just that the type X would see 600 watts instead of 1200 and muddy i fried a dd2510 there not that powerful of subs i only had the gain set to half on my kicker2500.1 with 2 10" dd2510 and still one blew it should of ben able to take it easily considering they are around 800rms each

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8129
"dd2510 there not that powerful of subs"

LOLOLOLOL.......

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 357
Now, I'm not an expert but my buddys compete and I've seen alot of DD's in my days. I may be wrong but sure as hell sounds like to me you were clipping your dd's. Do you have a stock electrical system powering a 2500.1 kicker?

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1072
his theory could only be correct if he was talking about a 2ch amp bridged and it would only be at the amp itself. Its a weird way of thinking of a 2ch amp being bridged but essentially when bridging(series) the amp's two channels they are technically at a 2ohm load but since its wire in series those two channels work at a 4ohm load. IMO, its a really nerdy, i'm too smart for you way of trying to explain it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3977
wtf is "Gain set to half"??????? your gain is not a volume knob....

hey guess what....maybe your gain set to half matched your HU voltage just right.....and you were giving each 10" over 1250RMS in a box tuned to 70hz or what not.......user error.:-):-):-)

on the DD site they say in the 2500 series....1200wRMS is pretty maxed out...that is if you know what you are doing.

do me a foavor and stop talking to me....you are dumbass....and have proved that many times.

Bronze Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 28
man ive never even connected a sub to an amp and i know for sure that is not possible. you would need a dual 2 ohm sub in order to run it at one ohm. whoever you were talkin to doesnt need to be into car audio. now you could wire to 2 ohms but you sure wont get 1 type x into 1 ohm.

Silver Member

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 710
im thinkin he has an old 2 ohm amp around and hes trying to sell it to you or something, orif you were buying the subs he has the 4 ohms around and doesnt want to order anything cuz he'll lose money

Gold Member

Post Number: 1403
"his theory could only be correct if he was talking about a 2ch amp bridged and it would only be at the amp itself. Its a weird way of thinking of a 2ch amp being bridged but essentially when bridging(series) the amp's two channels they are technically at a 2ohm load but since its wire in series those two channels work at a 4ohm load. IMO, its a really nerdy, i'm too smart for you way of trying to explain it.

he claims that a mono amp is essentialy a two channel amp, but internally bridged.

i guess i could see how he thinks that, because you put a left and a right RCA into it, but dam do i feel bad for all the people that have their system running at 2 ohms, and thinking that its at 1 because of this guy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1404
and i even called the guys at RE, and they said. "well he is right and wrong, it depends on the mono amp you have."

Gold Member

Post Number: 1405
nevermind about the comment about RE, i just figured out what he was talking about. he was talking about the difference between a TRUE mono amp, and a two channnel thats bridgeable

Gold Member

Post Number: 1407
he claims that a mono amp is essentialy a two channel amp, but internally bridged.

if you think about it, a two channel amp, when bridged, is just basically connecting the two channels into one

now, fvor a mono amp, if you have two channels going into the amp, and only one coming out, doesnt it need to maybe be bridged somewhere???

can someone explain

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 829
Muddy said it best

**the dual inputs for + and - are for convenience so you don't have to cram them into one input.***

the dual inputs, are there for convenience..it is the same exact thing, if there were only 1 pair of inputs. the 2 positives would be connected together, right in the amp, and the two negs together right in the amp, making it the same as only having 1 pair of inputs

Bronze Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 30
like with the JL Audio slash series amps when you connect 2 subs it parallel the wiring. 2 3 ohm subs would be running at 1.5 ohms on the amp..

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2035
"do me a foavor and stop talking to me....you are dumbass....and have proved that many times."
LOL muddy, that sentence alone was worth reading this whole thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us