OT: Sorry to ask on here but you guys are always helpful

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 351
Sorry I got a computer problem and no one is ever in the comp section so i thought id ask here if anyone was a computer brain. Heres my problem...

I have a Dell Dimensions 8400 with windows xp on it. I've had it for a year and its become extremly slow and I made backup disks so i want to just format it and start over. When i right click on my c drive and press format it comes up with this error.
"Windows can not format this drive. Quit and disk utilites or other programs that are yousing this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of this drive, then try formating agian."

I have no programs or windows open so what should I try? Any easier way around this?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1374
oh call dell and tell them u need the recovery disc, dell will send them free but u have to pay shippin, try to download system mechanic that thing will make your computer run like new, try defragmentin your hard drive( go to accesories, systemtools and click disk defragment)

if u cant download system mechanic( is the most helpfull program) dowload advance system optimizer but its better the system mechanic, and if u have system mechanic try to tweak windows with system mechanic( system mechanic will automatically tweak windows, memory, registry,hard drive,boot times,spyware etc)

finaly download windows registry repair pro, and adware se pro.

u can download them at bearshare or limewire

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 352
Ive done all that stuff. I have the windows xp disc but i dont think its recovery it just says xp pro on it. I'm just sick of all the problems and i want a fresh start. Is there a way to do it from like the bios screen?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1376
no bios is only for your motherboard,if u dont think its a recovery call dell to send you new disc, dude are you sure that u have done usin the system mechanic??

Bronze Member
Username: Thebufromnc

Rockwell, NC

Post Number: 80
do you know anything about the program window when you start you computer. Its been awhile since i've done that to a computer, but from what i understand your trying to format your computer while the C drive is in use. Restart your computer...instead of you letting windows load there is a screen where you can bring up somewhat of a DOS format screen. Not sure on your computer how to get there but usually as soon as you turn your computer on there's like a thing that says press like F10 for menu. once your in the DOS format type of screen, type in c:/format then it should give you a few options on what you actually want to do like, hit the number 1 to format c drive etc. should be like 4 things you can actually do. make sure you have the Windows XP Install disk before you start this process and also a CD key to enter when they ask for you ID #. If not, your screwed with getting back on because windows will not be installed. this is actually formatting the entire disk, not just cleaning it up..so if you want things that you've saved, better save to CD or disk cause everthing will be gone. FRESH START

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1122
Download and run Adaware. Go here:

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?p art=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Install it and make sure that you run the update to get the latest definitions.

Run it. And restart your computer. Then run it again.

Then run disk defragmenter. Click start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools and click on Disk defragmentor. Defragment all of you disks. Then restart your computer and do it again. Then turn the power on your computer completely off and turn it back on. That is the best way to go about speeding up your computer.

If ythis doesn't work for you, I can help you format your drives and reinstall windows. I have a 2 year Associates degree in the computer field, just so you know I am not talking out of my ass. ;)

Silver Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 450
Any idea why your computer may be running slow ?? too much p0rn ?? haha just messin

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 356
no i took lilrobs advice and just had dell walk me through it. I deleted stuff i dont think i was sopposed to a long time ago and have had errors ever since and i had to much virus protectors on and some wouldnt let me uninstall or stop. I guess all i had to do was restart my comp and press ctrl f11. And im back to a brand new comp. Thanks for the help though.

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 254
Did you reformat or not? Reformatting requires restarting your computer, opening BIOS, changing the boot sequence so boot from your XP CD, and then having it wipe out your hard drive and then reformat from the CD. Thats the only way I know how to do it...

If you haven't formatted yet and want more detail on this let me know.

Silver Member

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 364
No dell dimensions have this nice little feature where you just press ctrl f11 at the startup. It brings your computer to day one. Deletes entire hardrive except keeps in like a safe memory all the programs uploaded by dell. So when i formated it still had xp, microsoft, norton, and windows media player. For once dell has a really amazing feature.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us