Alt install

Bronze Member
Username: Tiggerboi87

Pensacola, FL United States

Post Number: 97
Around how much would if cost for a shop to install and H.O. alternator? I have an 88 blazer s-10 and is looks like all someone would have to do is unscrew about 3 or four bolts and un plug some wires and its off and then visa versa to put the new one in. Is it that simple? I also know that you have to somehow get it in with the belt. Is that easy to do? And it is how much money would i save doing it myself?

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 283
if you dont know alot about cars and electrical systems dont do it yourself your just f*uck things up it would cost around 100 to 200$ for a shop to do it ya its simple work but they charge heavy on labour even if its just undoing screws

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2527
if its a direct stock replacement, which most are, then its as easy as you said.

reduce the belt tension, pull the belt off, undo the 2 or 3 bolts and electrical connector and pull the old alt out. put the new one in the same way the old one came off.

depending on your car, sometimes it'll be harder to get to the alt then it will be to swap alts.

also, you will want to upgrade whats called "the big 3". thats the wire that runs from the alt output to the battery + post. battery - post to chassis ground. and engine block to chassis ground. you want to just run a larger gague then is there and you can just run it right on top of the stock wireing.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1377
its freakin easy i just installed my 180 amps iraggin alternator on sunday

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 1153
make sure when you put it back on, to put the alt back as much as possible so the belt is tight.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us