Subwoofer placement

Bronze Member
Username: Technique24

Post Number: 11
Ok I am trying to fit a ported box for a single 15" subwoofer into a sedan trunk that has a max height of 13.5" (30.5 x 22 x 13.5). My first thought was to just angle the front baffle facing the trunk lid, however it looks to be a lot more complicated then simply facing the sub straight up. This would then be directly under the rear deck. Would this hinder any performance compared to facing the sub at that slant? Would it be worth the extra work to get the specs right on an angled baffle?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2502
not gonna make or break it. i've had subs facing front, back and now up and so far i like up the best. mines not under the rear deck though, its all the way against the back of the trunk, faceing up at the trunk lid (inverted too).

just depends on what you want to do. my box and amp rack take up every inch of my trunk, but i never use it so i didn't care. i know some people still want to use some of their trunk and that'll be a problem for them...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
You think there would be a big difference facing the rear deck compared to the trunk lid. I also have a large opening in the rear deck that would be right above the sub if faced upward. So it would be pushing air into the cabin. I am not sure if this a good thing or not.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2504
thats good that you have an open area for the bass to enter the listening area. that'll help a lot. it shouldn't, but if you haven't sound deadened the trunk and rear deck, you will want to. the rear deck always wants to rattle and having the sub right under it will make it rattle. having the openings will help with that some, it'll releive some pressure, but its still something you might wanna look into.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Alright cool thx man, I think I'll just face it upward then. Good thing I have deadened the whole the trunk including the rear deck, so hopefully I will have minimized the rattling. One last thing is should I still face the port toward the back?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2507
back or to a side. i wouldn't aim it into the cab. you'll usually get better results that way. but it all depends on the car.

i perfer sealed boxes so i don't have to worry about that, lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Lol, yea I sure do miss the simplicity of a good ole sealed box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us