120 Ampere Alternator ?

Username: Kungwaz

Post Number: 10
How many Ampere do I have left if my car has an 120 Ampere alternator, how much does the car normally take, and how many Amp's can I run or how big Amp?

// KungWaz

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 435
it is really hard to say, and we dont have your make and model so that doesnt help either but you could probly put 1000rms on it but its no garentee

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The car is a Volvo V40 T4 -01. But I guess if I can run 800rms that would do it. :p
I have a capacitator, so I guess I don't have to change the alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 736
with all electronics on in a car Such as the AC the lights the stereo and other things that require power it takes roughly 60 percent of the alternators Power but you can usually get away with a 1000rms amp because as long as the pull doesnt bring the volts below between 12.6 and 12 then you wont have to worry about a dead battery all the time and as long as you dont sit around with ur stereo running while the car is off

Basically if the amp and everything is gonna bring the battery below 12 volts with the car on then ur gonna run into problems but some times only usen a deep cycle battery will cure the problem as long as you turn off everything and let the battery charge back up before turning off the car but other times people needs high output alternators and a deep cycle battery of a couple of deep cycle batterys depending on the RMs power of the amp or amps they have in there system

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 737
but truth be told if you arent gonna upgrade the electrical then going with a huge amp isnt gonna make any more power then a smaller weaker amp because if the amps both do there rated power at 14.4 volts and the smaller 1000rms amp turned all the way up doesnt bring the volts below 13.8 then you have around 875rms but with a 1500rms amp thats brings ur cars volts down aroound 12 and even below 12 for a few seconds during hard bass hits then out of that amp you are only getting around 1000rms but now you have to add a Deep cycle battery because this amp keeps bring ur standard battery below 12 volts for a few seconds at a time every so often when its turned up and ur hitting bigger longer bass notes so its just not worth trying to push ur luck with a larger amp unless ur serious about it and you plan to upgrade all ur electrical

try to find a amp that does its rated power at 12.6 volts because thats somthing you should be able to maintain

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 738
a standard battery can only be brought below 12 volts a handful of times before it no longer accepts and holds a charge

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 809
i would say on a 120a alt, you can run around 1200rms - 1300rms

my alt is 105a, and it easily does 800rms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
At the moment I'm running this Amp: RF P4004
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=2&series_id=6 &family_id=21&item_id=91945&locale=en_US

But I want to add this Amp: RF T4004
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=2&series_id=7 &family_id=24&item_id=100033&locale=en_US

So my total will be 800rms, right?
But how do I know at wich volt these do their rated power?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
And by the way, if some one knows this;
can I power these speakers off the RF T4004 ?
I would do it at 4x100W @ 1ohm, 4 set's of speakers, all of them Infinity speakers 2ohm's.
Two speakers on each channel, Front left / CH1, Front right / CH2, Rear left / CH3 and Rear right / CH4.
Front will be 42.7i(50rms) and 50.7cs (85rms)
Rear will be 693.7i(110rms) and 52.7i(55rms)
In parallel this would be 1ohm load on each channel right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us