Question about best 12" woofer

Username: Mhrx

Hayden, ID USA

Post Number: 10
Hi everyone, I've been looking around for a while on what to put in my truck. I've decided to give up one of my back seats to put a single 12" sub, but I can't decide on which to get. I want a sub that is loud...but sounds good at low levels too. I was thinking of one of these:

JL 12W6V2 (are these much better than the W3's?)
Kicker CVR12
Kicker L5/L7

I don't know a whole lot about other brands, but can someone point in me in the right direction? Looking to only spend around 300. Thanks for the help!

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 307
Sound GOOD or LOUD? Kicker for the most part doesnt sound good but does get LOUD, but i have heard the CVR's are nice, not sure about how loud. Do you already have an amp? looking to spend 300 for the sub alone?

Silver Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 414
http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp12_premium_series_12_inch_DIY_subwoofer_informat ion.html

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1354
go with a single soundsplinter rl-s in a large sealed box that will have same sq than the w6 but with mush louder bass

Bronze Member

Hayden, ID USA

Post Number: 11
thanks for the input. I'm trying to get the best sounding subwoofer that can get loud when I want it. Is the jump in price from say, a CVR to a W6 going to be noticable? After reading up on these, I think I'll need a new amp too (looking like around 500 watts rms)

Also, I've never heard of soundsplinters. They look good, though I don't know too much spec-wise. Would this be better for $250, or a W6 for ~$300? thanks again for all the help.

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1363
haha hey bro listen if u have around 300 for a single driver that has great sq and can get really loud go with soundsplinter rl-s if u dont beilve me ask other members or go to realmofexcursion and see the videos

Bronze Member

Hayden, ID USA

Post Number: 12
holy cow that speaker is insane (thanks for the site with the videos). What kind of box should I get for it? I probably need as small as possible, due to it being placed behind the drivers seat. Is sealed or ported prefered?

Also, I think I'll need to upgrade my amp...what kind of amp would work well for that sub? Jeez I still can't get over those videos, haha.

Bronze Member

Hayden, ID USA

Post Number: 13
sorry to rattle off the questions...but one more if it's not too much trouble. Can anyone comment on the quality at lower listening levels? (or is that what SQ is?) Most of the time I just want tight, punchy bass.

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 753
all i have to say is, those are all in completely different leagues^^^^

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1364
if your going with the rl-s they need large sealed boxes

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1366
if your going with the rl-s they need large sealed boxes

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3945
how do you figure the RL-s is $300

and good luck finding an amp that does 1000wRMS at 4 ohms.

Bronze Member

Hayden, ID USA

Post Number: 14
I was thinking the rl-p, because of my somewhat limited space. (or are they a big step down from the rl-s?) It says on the website .75-1.5 cubic feet for a sealed box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3946
the RL-p's are very nice subs indeed.

the RL-s is more of a HT subwoofer.

with the space needed and the coil config....they aren't practical for use in car audio.

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 309
Check out Earthquake Power House amps for 1000wrms they have strong amps, stronger then most out there..

www.earthquakesound.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 3949
yay.

you found an amp that puts out 1500wRMS at 4 ohms......and you can have it for only $1400!!! :-)

i think that is a little over budget John. lol

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1369
earthquake amps are nice but the have high harmonic distortion they are used for competitions if u plan to run them for daily driver, u have to run them at 4 or 2 ohms because of their harmonic distortion, why u think new models are rated at 2ohm minimun

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 2009
you could also look into the AA arsenal, there very nice sql subs, the rl-s isn't a very pratical subwoofer for a car, they need a HUGE box and are only 4ohms, so its gonna cost a lot for an amp.

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1370
i dont think so theyare only 1k rms u can buy a 2 channel amp and bridged it u can get a soundstream for 300 with around 1200 rms bridged

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 311
Well he was talking about running it at 4ohms, the amp can do that, also EARTHQUAKE AMPS ARE ALL 2 OHM MINIMUM even if they tell you otherwise, 1ohm and your system is fu<ked . the amp gets hot and burns out, cuts out, and just steadily gives you problems after 20 minutes at 1ohm. But it will give you crazy power, very clean.

Bronze Member

Hayden, ID USA

Post Number: 15
phew...all this stuff is going over my head haha.

I was looking at the arsenal 12" as well, that may be what I end up getting, I'm not sure yet. Out of these three, what do you all think? (keeping price in mind)

Arsenal 12" = ~200 shipped
Soundspinter 12" rl-p = ~275 shipped
JL Audio 12" W6V2 = ~330 shipped

I think I'll be happy with anything I get, the more I read up on stuff the more I'm finding out that most everything in car audio is an opinion (unfortunatley...it could make my decision easier! haha) Thanks to everyone for the help :-)

Gold Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1373
ok then if your not gettin the rl-s the rl-p will be the woofer with the most sq and loudest of them all the jl audio w6 will be the champ for sq, the havoc have great sq too but it will not get as loud as the rl-p

first the rl-p have better fs, bl and one of the most important thing xmax than the arsenal

Silver Member

Il USA

Post Number: 312
Muddy..... you look around for one for a better price, and the web prices on that page are way off from waht a dealer would even sell them for, i can get 2 of the strongest amps they got ph10000d\1 for $1450 thats 6000rms+ at 2ohm.. its cheaper trust me.. probally like 400-600 for a ph2000 or ph5000

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 263
... or find a phoenix gold xenon.. they are stable at 1,2,3 and 4 ohms.. I've seen those for around 350-400

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 2153
and by the way the w6v2 is better sq wise hen the ss but the ss is still awesome sounding and iut does get louder then the w6v2 which is prob the best sq sub on the market either that or a idmax

Gold Member

Post Number: 3950
i don't need to find an amp that does 1000wRMS at 4 ohms for a better price...b/c it is a watse of time.

the RL-p is a very nice sub. i would recommend it over the RL-s any day. the RL-s isn't worth all the extra cost involved to make it sound good with huge boxes and super-powerful house amps. lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us