Arsenal 15 smell

Bronze Member
Username: Matt_stu

Post Number: 31
alright well i hooked up the arsenal 15 to the zx750.1 amp today and turned it up to somewhat medium power, not full blast but medium power. anyways a strong smell started coming from the subwoofer. ive only smelled this smell twice and thats when i broke in a subwoofer and when i blew my 6x9 back speaker. anyways i called chad at ascendant audio and he said the kicker amps clip really bad and that it might be that. now this is were i need help could it just be the subwoofer breaking in (i also dont have it in a box yet i just wanted to see how it sounded i dont plan on playing it again until the box comes in) or could it be because its blowing from the clipping. this was only about a 15 second test on the subwoofer to. thank you very much for any help

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1432
your subwoofer is just breaking in. Kicker amps put out more than their rated power and i doubt it was clipping, unless you had the gain on max

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
nah i set the gain i used this site to do it http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

750w at 2 ohms turns out to be 38.7 i put in my test cd for 50hz at 0db and used a mulitmeter to set the gain for 38.7.

just a question about setting the gain is am i allowed to turn up the bass on my car and amp could that cause the voltage going to the speaker to be more then 38.7 and causing it to clip or does it not matter thank you very much. this is the first reall serious system ive gotten into so im tryin to do it right thank you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
also how long should i expect this smell to last

also another question is it doesnt sound that loud right now or at least not as loud as i expected it to my last system got louder. can i epect this to change once it gets in a box? does the box amplify the sound a lot of no. thank you very much

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
also the sub dosnt get hot or anything magnet of voice coils. so it couldnt be blowing if it isnt getting hot right?

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 414
just get it in a box, it will make hella difference

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
yea i figured the box would make a huge difference. its starting to piss me off i ordered it from klaus audio on june 22 and its been almost a month and still no sign. ohh well cant wait to get it in a box and hear how it sounds. and just to make sure its just breaking in right jsut the excess glue burning off not the voice coil burning

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4295
you were playing it free air? if so you would smell something. did you mentioned to chad that you were playing it free air?

the kicker amps don't clip alot. they are nicely built amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
nah i didnt mention to him that i was playing it free air i only played it free air for a second since then i disconnected the subwoofer and amp and am waiting for the box to come in. so the reason i was smelling something was because of that was playing it without a box extremely bad for it? thank you very mcuh

Bronze Member
Username: Luisdelbronx

Post Number: 17
-just a question about setting the gain is am i allowed to turn up the bass on my car and amp could that cause the voltage going to the speaker to be more then 38.7 and causing it to clip or does it not matter thank you very much. this is the first reall serious system ive gotten into so im tryin to do it right thank you-

I'de like to know the answer to this also, thanks also.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

420 , 420 420

Post Number: 1994
matt- playing a sub free air full power is very bad, your lucky you didn't blow it, when a sub is played free air the spider is the only thing that keeps the subs from over excursion, so you were probally making the sub bottom out, so the smell was probally the vc getting hot a glue melting off, put it in a box and you'll notice a huge difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
ahhh thank you very much glad i didnt do this for very long thank you very much for the help and the information. wont be doing that again ever paid to much money for something like that to happen

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
also i hope i didnt ruin the sub what do you think the chances of ruining that would have been. i didnt play it abrnomally loud or for long just to see a sound thank you damn i hate being a dumbass

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 420
the sub will probly be fine AA's are pretty durable
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us