Box porting and directing

Silver Member
Username: Frkkevin

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 211
Going to build a box for my sx. First time I ran them I had the box professionally built and was running two in a 14^3ft box. Now I'm in a car so that is not going to happen. I'm looking at 17(H)x32(W)x17(D). Using 1"MDF its roughly 3.906^3ft. I've got no problem building it besides determining the length of the ports. I've ran it through WinISD but I don't know all the exacty specs for the SX so I can only get a rough idea hence why I'm asking for help. I'd like to build two ports, side by side. One will be the daily port tuned to 28hz while the other one for comp will be plugging. When I go to compete I'll switch the plugs instead of replacing complete ports. I'm going to do basic rectangle ports 15inch high but unknown width and length. For the comp port I'm unsure of what to tune it to. I is going into a 2003 VW Jetta. I'm aiming for as loud as I can get at (x)hz burp running one stock battery + an optima yellow top. The amp is a Cerwin Vega Exl 1000d. My other question besides port tuning is which is the best option to fire the sub. To the rear of the trunk, up towards the rear window, back towards the back of the seats, or down into the wheel well. If I downfire it the spare tire and jack will be removed for extra room. If downfiring is the best way which way should the port face? I could fine a way to make it exit into the space inside the wheel well or is it ok to have the port exiting on another plane beside that of which the sub is in?

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 213
^bump^ ... anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 4264
can your backseat fold down? if they can then firing port and the subs in to the cabin would get you loud. you have to seal off the box from the rest of the trunk though.

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 215
Yea the back seats fold down.. They split then fold..

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 216
3x15 inch ports.. One tuned to 28hz but the other is still a question. What would be a good tune to compete with considering my car?

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 217
^bump^ Anyone? Gotta build this asap can't stand stock setup

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1342
well the higher the tuning the louder it will get BUT no sq so think bout this 28 tuned nice and low is for daily driving...and if u compete tune it in the mid 40s but be warned sq will suck up the @$$....idk if i answered ur question

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 218
Its going to have two ports.. One will be plugged.. daily port is going to be 28.. comp port can be as high as it needs to be but idk what is a good number for my car.. I also don't know the port length to tune these ports..

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1343
down load winISD from the internet...GOOGLE it it and ull find it

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 219
I've got both WinISd but when I run it through the SPL output is way lower than the sub is capable of.. is this normal? It was only like 124db at 50hz

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 220
So for my box.. 17x32x17.. one slot port 15x3x36 would tune it to 28hz.. 15x3x7.5 roughly for a 50hz. This is not taking into consideration the volume displaced from the actual ports but is that going to affect it that much to notice? These lengths look correct?

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 222
Well I ran it again the same way and got something different. for 50hz the port is 15x3x6.75 and for 28hz 15x3x34.. ummm? I don't understand why it came out different with the same input. Which is right? I ran my old box setup and it was only hitting 137db in winisd at 55hz while in reality it was hitting 145.6 at 38hz on a tl meter. Guess you can't base spl with winisd or am I doing something wrong?

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 226
^bump^

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 230
Can anyone help? I feel stranded here...

Silver Member

Denton, Texas US

Post Number: 239
^bump^

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3045
WinISD does not calculate "cabin gain". It just gives you a reference SPL level.

for example ISD 'tells' me that my Sx15 will do ~131dB at 51hz, but i actually do 147.9dB (w/ my new box)

i'm guessing that you are doing interchangable ports...right?

if so, volume displacments of the ports will totally change your tuning!

hit me w/ some pics of your car and i'll help ya out man.

marshall_white2004@yahoo.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us