Would 400 RMS Be Too Much?

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 122
Hey, Ive got a sub that im trying to find an amp for. It has a 250 Watt RMS rating and it has a 4 Ohm dual voice coil. Would putting 400 Watts into this sub not be a good idea or will it still perform fine? If it's not a good idea, then what amp or RMS range should I be looking for?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2189
it would be fine. no problems.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 126
ok, cool, but what if I wanted to get a 2-channel amp for this? Since this sub has a dual voice coil, how much RMS would I be getting out of an amp that would be 200x1 @4Ohms or even 400x1 @4Ohms? Would that be overdoing it or no...

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2192
doesn't matter if you run a 2-channel amp on the sub...

since the sub is DVC 4 ohm, you cant wire it to a 4 ohm load where you will give the sub either 200 or 400 watts.

if you wanted to wire to 4 ohms, you need the DVC 2 ohm sub to work :-)

what amp is it? and what sub?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2193
and even if you did put 400 into a 250 rms sub, you wouldnt be overdoin it. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 452
for some subs, yes you would be overdoing it. not all subs can handle more than their rms ratings. giving any sub 50% more power than recommended, without knowing from experience that particular sub can take it, isnt something i recommend. plus, some subs reach their mechanical max below their rms rating, which is just a thermal rating anyhow.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2197
overdoin it would be 500 into a 250 rms sub because your overpowerin it 50%. thats when you shouldnt do it. he only givin 150 more... not much at all. yes, some subs cant take it but if you keep ur gain down just a lil bit, you can turn the volume up pretty good without the chance of clippin ur sub (which wont happen overpowerin it by 150 watts.)

wut sub do u have?

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 127
I don't know the model number, but it's a MA Audio, 10" sub. I know it's not the best, but it's been sitting around my house for awhile and i thought I'd put it to some use to see what it can do.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 128
Opps, sorry I forgot to add that I don't have an amp for it yet, thats why im looking into one.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2208
depending on ur VC config:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-MRP-M350-V-Power-Mono-Amplifier-05-AMP-350-WATTS_W0QQ itemZ250005312633QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this would be great if you have DVC 2 ohm sub:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KICKER-KX250-2-CAR-AUDIO-2-CHAN-AMP-AMPLIFIER-250 -WATTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38638QQihZ005QQitemZ150004551492QQrdZ1

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2209
the firstn alpine is if you had DVC 4 ohm sub

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 129
well since its a DVC and both of them are wired, wouldnt it be 2Ohm?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1202
depends on the brand, if the sub is an infinity, i would play carefully, plus the new amps don't put their power at 12V you can wire it to get 400w rms if you want. Bassman what's up bro!

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2212
wud up bro

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2213
joe, so yes, since its DVC 4 ohm sub, you need an amp that does 250-350 @ 2 ohms.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2214
the alpine would be fine

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 134
Ya, the Alpine would be nice

Also that Kicker is 250 @4Ohm, so what would it be giving out to my MA since its 2Ohm? Or am I supposed to take off one of the wires to the other VC and make it 4Ohm?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, I just make to be 100% sure on what im doing when I buy an amp.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1240
go with alpine and no, don't wire one coil. that was a suggestion if you had dual 2 sub, but you have dual 4, go with alpine. you'll be happy

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2246
yea. the kicker wouldnt work because you can wire a DVC 4 ohm sub to 4 ohms (where the kicker amp does 250 watts)

"so what would it be giving out to my MA since its 2Ohm"

i guess i dont understand wut ur sayin. i thought u had a DVC 4 ohm sub --- you can only wire subs to a certain ohm. and a DVC 4 ohm sub (one of them) can only wire to a 2 or 8 ohm load

^^ because ur sub is 250 rms, and can be wired to a 2 or 8 ohm load, you want an amp that does 250 + @ 2 ohms because thats how you wire a DVC 4 ohm sub.

on the other hand if you had a DVC 2 ohm subs, you would needs an amp that does 250 + at 1 or 4 ohms. because (1) DVC 2 ohm sub = 1 or 4 ohm load.

go the www.the12volt.com --- then woofer wiring on the left and experiment -- it will give you a diagram on how to wire it to

"Or am I supposed to take off one of the wires to the other VC and make it 4Ohm"

it doesnt have any wires on it if you havent hooked it up yet

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 453
"overdoin it would be 500 into a 250 rms sub because your overpowerin it 50%."

no, thats overpowering it by 100%.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2278
lol. yea. my bad. haha