CLass A/B versus CLass D

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmoneymachine8

Post Number: 22
whats the difference and what is better? i think D is better but, what the hell is the difference. someone please explain

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 509
class a/b can have better sound quality.

class d is normally for high rated amps. u can learn everything about amp classes, if you just type it in on google.

Silver Member
Username: Gangstafert

Jacksonville, Florida USA

Post Number: 250
Some of these other guys can explain it better but class D are more efficient and better for subs and A/B are geared more toward speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmoneymachine8

Post Number: 23
okay. well i have a kicker solobaric 12 L7, im thinking of buying an audiobahn A8000V, which has A/B class power. its 800 w rms @ 2 ohms, is there a huge difference between this A/B or like a Class D. will i be dissapointed if i go with this audiobahn with A/B?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2048
dont worry about it. its fine. its not as big of a diff as u think. get the amp

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 325
A/B amps are gonna put out a cleaner signal if your aiming for Sq, but they require more battery power to create the cleaner signal.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2054
read up on ampplifier classes on www.bcae1.com

other than that, the amp is nice

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8374
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/amplifiers.html

Bronze Member
Username: Buckiller

Post Number: 11
Based on the direction of the industry (eclipse), class D amps will be more widely used than they are right now....

But since you are buying right now the general rule is AB for speaker, D for subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Maxsq

Post Number: 17
It's the difference in efficiency. Class A/B are better for ALL frequencies, Class D is not as clean and are used for subs because they can cut the top frequencies out that would make audible distortion. That is typically why they are only used on subs. Only Xtant has experimented in this realm for full range because they feel that they have over vome the inherient shortcomings of Class D distortion. The bottom line is that if you care about the sound quality and want to hear it the way it was intended used A/B and if you just want to pound and are not that concerned about sound quality the go with D.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 915
In sub frequencies there isn't an SQ difference between a/b and D.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 916
the only difference is in efficiency where class D wins in a landslide at every level except max power - where they're still 10-30% better.

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 762
in sub frequencies there is a difference in sq. read up there^^, and check out some sites. the sq change though, is very smallll.

***The bottom line is that if you care about the sound quality and want to hear it the way it was intended used A/B and if you just want to pound and are not that concerned about sound quality the go with D.***

this is not true, because about 99% of the sq, will be the sub that you choose. you can buy a sub with a ton of sq, and get a D amp, and it will make the TINIEST difference sq wise, because of the diff amp CLASS.

Gold Member

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2601
that didnt make u sound very smart steven, hahaha

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 764
uh huh. lol

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 921
"in sub frequencies there is a difference in sq. read up there^^, and check out some sites. the sq change though, is very smallll."

Theoretically, sure, but the fact remains if you were to do a double blind listening test on an xxx watt class d vs. an equal power class a/b within the specified bandwidth of the class D - there would be no audible difference.

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 163
steven.. you could have the best sq sub in the world and it would not make a bad amp sound good

instead you would accurately hear how bad the amp is

there is a threshold between the amp and sub
lets use a scale of 1-100 for quality..
if an amp puts out 100 but the sub can only put out 60.. your gonna hear 60

if the amp puts out 60 and the sub can put out 100.. your gonna hear 60

class d amps have a reverb kinda to them
or if you were to watch an oscilliscope the wave would be seperated like double vision
the class a/b would be tight as a pinch

and really we are talking about human error.. there are ppl that cant tell the difference between pepsi and coke with a blindfold on
average joe or expert.. its still human error

lol.. lemme have some fun with this

if i were to be blind folded and was trying pepsi vs coke.. if i take a drink and it tastes like pepsi then it becomes fact to me and me only
once i lift the blindfold and realize it was coke.. the drink i took tasted like pepsi- that thought would be a fact but i still thought it was pepsi when it was really coke

the word factitious comes to mind
and that means:
Produced artificially rather than by a natural process.

artifical is a remix of anything natural

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 821
quote**** lets use a scale of 1-100 for quality..
if an amp puts out 100 but the sub can only put out 60.. your gonna hear 60

if the amp puts out 60 and the sub can put out 100.. your gonna hear 60

i believe what you said the first time, because that was saying what i was trying to say. if an amp puts out 100 but the sub can only put out 60.. your gonna hear 60...thats kinda what i was saying. but your second sentence i dont believe. first of all, there are subs, that only have 60 for sq. take an example: a treo ssi. a treo can probably do around 95 or so. then take one of the worst amps theyre are.....sony xplod, insignia, boss, pyramid, or pyle, i do not believe that the treo, will sound like a 60. not at all. maybe it will bump down to like an 88 or so, if powered with a crappy sq amp, but thats about it. do u agree with me at all???

what i was saying up there is, the sub has A LOT more to do with it, than the amp. there audible difference between the two, is so small, you cant even tell, sometimes u can though. im not sure if reverb is the word to use for class d. i hear reverb all the time playing guitar, and thats not what i have ever heard a class d sound like.

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 733
im just sitting here waiting for all the guys that say a watt is a watt :-)

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 825
ya i thought about that during my last post. its funny that he said that if the amp can do 60 for sq, and the sub can do 100, its gunna sound like 60. lol that makes no sense, especially when u think about a watt is a watt.

but i didnt say that, cause i believe the amp class, and the build (or brand) or the amp, has a little bit to do with sq.

a watt is a watt, but a jl 500/1 will sound better with a jlw7, than a 500watt sony amp will.

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 1127
"but a jl 500/1 will sound better with a jlw7, than a 500watt sony amp will"

According to Richard Clark that's not true. And he has like $15,000 for the person who can actually tell.

He says as long as the 2 amps are used within their limits and are putting out the same ammount of power NO ONE can tell the difference. I am not starting a fight at all I am just tellign you what he says, and so far NO ONE has been paid. I think I believe him. Just google it and you might find more info. That is about all I know about it. I find it really interesting though.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 923
with the brands you're using as examples -- Xplod, pyramid, pyle etc...

They all have perfectly acceptable SQ - the issue you're all tossing around - whether you realize it or not, is power.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 8145
a watt is a watt period.....

Silver Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 756
ok ok, here goes, if you use an amp within its parameters, and use another amp of the same wattage within its parameters, it is impossible for the human ear to tell the differance pushing the same speaker in same box etc...

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 170
steven.. that 95 sub can only speak what its told
so if the amp says 60 the sub cant magically move extra on its own

Gold Member

MN

Post Number: 1128
GOD who started giving frickin amps and subs "quality numbers"? Just shut up. The point has been made. The truth has been told. The case is CLOSED.

"a watt is a watt period....."

AMEN!

I have been trying to explain this to you forever. :shakes head in utter frustration:

Gold Member

MN

Post Number: 1129
"steven.. that 95 sub can only speak what its told
so if the amp says 60 the sub cant magically move extra on its own"

GOD who started giving frickin amps and subs "quality numbers"? Just shut up. The point has been made. The truth has been told. The case is CLOSED.

"a watt is a watt period....."

AMEN!

I have been trying to explain this to you forever. :shakes head in utter frustration:

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 853
haha. yea ill admit what i said was wrong, but it wasnt as wrong as this:

***there is a threshold between the amp and sub
lets use a scale of 1-100 for quality..
if an amp puts out 100 but the sub can only put out 60.. your gonna hear 60 **

Silver Member

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 854
hahah i meant to put this:

quote*** if the amp puts out 60 and the sub can put out 100.. your gonna hear 60 **
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us