For the expirienced...

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1339
the impedance rises as the box gets smaller correct??

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8360
do u mean TUNING ? .....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1340
im tralking about box impedance rise..... depending on the box, the impedance that the amp is presented with is different than how you actualy wired your subs, i jutst cant remeber if the smaller the box, the more impedance, or the bigger the box.

i gues i could ask, does a sub need more watts to go to full excursion in a small sealed box, and less watts in a large ported??

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 238
uhhh..

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2557
a box size has nothing to do with impedence. how subs are wired only....

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California USA

Post Number: 1073
...and that would be why it says for the experienced only...

Silver Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 222
lol....wow... wait blaine ur just joking rite? ur a gold member u gotta be joking..

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7951
If u have lots of posts..u have at least been around..for a while..so u no a thing or 2....just from reading the fourm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1341
if you cannot answer my querstion please dont post....not to be an a@@ hole, but the impedance that the amp is presented with does in fact depend on the box too. and im pretty sure that the smaller the box, the higher the impedance. this is the one topic that people really dont know much about, but i would not just make this up. it was discussed awhile ago, and everyone posted things like "wow i didnt know that"

i do know that a box can affect impedance, but i couldnt remember if the small boxes make the impedance go up or down....

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2721
well blaine...im not sure if it has to do with the size...now i do know that whenever it starts to reach its Fs, the impeadence will start to change.
just google impeadence rise to see if it shows anything

Gold Member

Post Number: 1342
i wasd reading a thread here, and it does have a little to do with tuning, and when a sub hits a certain frequency, but you will never really get EXACTLY 1 ohm, so that is why the jl 1000/1 is so good, bc box impedance rise will have no affect, and you will get the real 1000 watts

but i still am not sure, if the impedanxce goes up with a big or small box, ive heard both things

Gold Member

Post Number: 1343
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/212558.html

it does have a little to do with tuning

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2724
it would make sense that a bigger box would...i mean think bout it...
i dont really worry much bout it.

Silver Member
Username: Quig

Pittsburgh, Pa Us

Post Number: 225
so ur telling me... if u take an ohm meter... speaker out of box and for example u have any speaker... SVC 4 ohm... attach one probe to neg n pos, it reads around 4 ohm... u put it in a box then test it again its gona change???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1344
no..wont change when your testing it.

the impedance will change depending of the frequency of course..... and the box too

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1189
the impedance changes in every setting, temperature, and enclosure.

blaine im not sure if theres a set rule that says in a small box it will go up and a big box it will go down or visa versa. you might want to check glasswolfs site and see if he has anything about it.

if your really worried about it just get a tube amp and wire it to any ohm. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1190
http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb04/articles/polk/impedence.htm

sweet site. its helpful and the graph is pretty cool.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 3039
usually the impedance rise at a given freq will be lower w/ a smaller box...larger boxes tend to increase imp rise.

ex:

3cuft box tuned to 40hz...1ohm DCR...2.75ohm rise at 42hz.

5cuft box tuned to 40hz...1ohm DCR...3.2ohm rise at 42hz.

but this is just a vague example.

your impedance will change as freq changes (heat will also cause imp to rise). your highest imp rise will be right at or just above your boxes tuning.

hope that helps alil.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1345
thank you

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2054
yeah marshall is right. the bigger the box the imp.rises, and the imp. changes with the freqs as well so it would seem as if you arent getting the complete power from your amp. i think i was reading that sometimes the impedence can rise all the way up to 40ohms and what not. i read this somewhere on a very old post. you might try a search or going back throught the archives.its a lot of work though. and the search here sucks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us