Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 458
What is box imp rise?

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2127
impedance rise is freq related, but it depends on the enclosure also.. a very large box will have bigger impedance rise...

while playing music, impedence rise is almost double of the wired resistance anyway! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1109
does that mean that if you have your subs wired to one ohm..thats its really more than that??

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2129
exactly :-)

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 1111
so ... lets say you get a good amp..like the RE 12.1 (1200 watts @ 1 ohm) and you wire your subs to one ohm, your not REALLY getting that full 1200 watts.

so could you get subs and wire them to .5 ohm so that you are more likely to get the 1 ohm rating of 1200 watts??

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11443
when you talk about a sub being 4 ohms, that's a nominal or "average" impedance. The DCR or DC resistance of that usb is actually about 3.6 ohms at rest.
A speaker is a reactive load. You're sending current through a coil of wire when producing sound with a speaker, and this generates inductance. As a result, the impedance of the speaker will vary with the frequency of the alternating current going through it's coil (the frequency of the sound you're playing.)
The box also has an effect on this change in impedance, and the rise in impedance as you approach the Fs of the driver and enclosure is directly proportional to the efficiency. (weird but that's how it works.. balances out in a sense.) but to answer your question, yes you can load match an amp and sub combination with the enclosure you use and the box's tuning frequency to get the most power from the amp at a certain frequency range for SPL events, and that combination may not be what would sound like an ideal match under normal circumstances.
I've seen people run amps at 1 or .3 ohms with big subs (nominal) to get ideal load at their burping frequency because the math worked out that way.
The trick is how long you plan to run the system at those loads.

Silver Member

Post Number: 459
Is there any way to figure out box impedance rise

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
So if i run a 1ohm stable amp at .7ohms will it be ok because of impedence rise or will it damage the amp?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2131
yea, what GW said, what you measure at the terminals is only resitance (letter R)(dc related)! ITs part of the formula for impedance (Z) (ac related) :-)
When you pass a AC current through a coil, you get capacitance & inductance which changes your impedance when the frequencies changes.. :-)

simple formula ex:
Z(impedance) = R(resistance) + C(capacitance=cap) + L(inductance=coil)

if u run a amp rated @ 1ohm with a .7ohm load, the amp will still be able to handle it, cause its designed to go a ""little"" lower.. :-)
Now if you have cheap equipment, u should wire above the rated rms. :-)

also like GW said.., its exactly how I try to match my personal systems!! not by rms numbers of subs matching amps, not by "any" box, not at "any" ohm load.. :-) But you have to fully know the operations of each component of your system. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 813
wow...i just learned something new......

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2114
ha ha same here

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
So your saying you will never really know what ohms your amp is seeing because of so many freq changes when playing music?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2590
bingo.

box rise will change depending on the sub, box, and freq.

but, you can find out what your box rise is at a given freq if you have a multimeter and an amp clamp.

just run a freq to your sub and measure current (amps) and voltage the sub is seeing:

Imp = Volts / Amps

you can also see how much power the sub is actually seeing:

Watts = Volts x Amps

For instance...the box rise w/ my SX 15 w/ my SPL port in burping at 48hz is ~3.35ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 677
i guess so. ITS A CONFUSING TOPIC:

WHATS capacitance? AND inductance?

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
Hey marshall i would need a true RMS DMM to check all that right?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2593
yep...here is the one i use:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=0 3482014000&subcat=Multi-Meters%2C+Testers+%26+Accessories

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11451
www.bcae1.com
all of the basics are explained in good detail there.
capacitance, inductance, impedance, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5866
This link has a graph of an impedance curve:
http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/a05_zspeaker.gif

Came from this page, which has a lot of great info about speakers:
http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/05_speakers.html

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5867
Another note: You can think of the impedance curve as sort of an electrical "mirror" of what's happening mechanically.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us